getting more power from amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mgmopar said:

I have been running multi amps (mostly resurrected receivers with bass and treble controls) on my home system but am in the process of trying to upgrade quality of the components. I have been using the bass and treble as well as the volumes on the amps to achieve a fairly flat response. I am now planing on building some chip amps to replace the weaker amps at first. Eventually having mostly diy amps. I am using a Sony sdp e800 surround sound processor for my pre amp (I don't think it is capable effectively balancing the system on its own. I also don't want to add variable bass and treble to the new power amps. Does anyone have suggestions to help limit added circuitry but still give some tonal control/filtering to the inputs or outputs?

You need an equalizer...perferably a good equalizer. The output of the EQ goes to the small active (or passive) filter circuit that splits up the bandwidth and matches up the impeadence to send to the proper amp circuit and speaker. You can make this or buy it, personally I would just make one, the circuit would not be very complex. Any good electronics text book can show how to do this. High power car systems are assembled this way to get power effiecency, power is limited in a car. The idea is the same. Why filter the output when the filtering device, coil, cap, resistor, would use up output power? Filter the input and only amplify the frequencies you want and not have any wasted power, or performance.

When you amplify full band audio, you have low frequencies that have high frequencies added to it. This creates voltage spikes that have to be amplified linear. So most of your power is contained in 60 or 70 percent of full power, you can't get anymore gain because the spike(higher frequencies on top of lower frequencies) would be clipped off and lots of distortion would occur. :bawling: If you cut out the highs, then you can achieve a higher gain and be able to use the full power of the amp circuit. The catch is that you have to have another amp circuit to reproduce the highs which have been seperated from the lows.:rolleyes:

High frequencies don't require as much power to reproduce music. So a smaller power amp is used for highs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.