Water cooling project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Water cooled heat dissipation ,any takers ?

I am planning to try out water cooled heatsinks .the air cooled ones are heavy ,costly ,and if a fan is there to cool the heat sinks it is noisy as well.

Any one else on this forum is interested in this project ?

So you mean running water thruogh a passive raditor to cool it?

No problem, I do that with my overclocked PC. I found a scrapped room raditor at a junk yard sale, and bought a CPU cooling block and waterpump. It works great. Additionally I bought a Papst fan to replace the fan in the PSU and run it at 7 volt (run it between the +12 and the +5 outputs).

The whole system is silent as a whisper, and even in the middle of the night I can't hear it even though I sleep only a meter and a half away from the computer.

Re: hi

yugaaa said:
hi ,

what would be the benifit of using oil instead of water ?and would it be possible to immerse the output devices in oil ,just like the huge power transformers ?

any one could help me on this ?

Hi,

I think you're thinking of some overclockers projects..

Don't think oil is what you really want to try, seems something called Flourinert made by 3M is "designed" for such things, cooling supercomputers.

Here's one link

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1098/

Here's one you don't want to miss out on :

http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/submersion/submersion8.html

.. some people huh? You can just use an air conditioner to cool the flourinert though... don't have to be crazy with it.

When you get tired of messing with that look into some nice cool super efficient class d amps :)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have a pair of the absolutely killer Zalman water cooling
towers for a DIY project, but at $300 each it's more for looks
than practicality. You can, however, pick up an oil-cooling
type radiator at a local auto supply and run water through it.

Water cooled?
Did someone say water cooled?
Ha! A topic I know a thing or two about. Got two pairs of water cooled Aleph 2s and in the process of acquiring parts for a (mumble) to run on an entirely different water cooled system.
Did a thread on the first water cooled Aleph pair, called something like (sneaky of me, I'll admit) Water Cooled Aleph 2s. Don't remember the title exactly, but it's something like that. I think I put it in the Solid State forum.
Anyway, the upshot is that some ordinary 1/2" copper pipe, copper bar, a few brass fittings, and a pump will get you going. I use the heat exchanger from an old heat pump, although a car radiator will do just as well. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Works like a charm. What with the failure of my heat pump last November, I salvaged two more heat exchangers. I know what I'm going to do with one...
but what to do with the other...?

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.