Physical Transformer Proximity Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am just about to finish my Leach amp but I was wondering if there will be any problem in placing a small standby transformer approximately 1 inch above my toroidal power transformer. Any interference with the mag fields?

Would it help to place a copper sheild around the power transformer? If so, what thickness?

Here are some pics of possible configurations. The first two are the ones that I am favoring for layout reasons, but the second two place the two transformers farther apart.

Thanks,

Wes

Attachments

• p1010251.jpg
    p1010251.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 92
wrl said:
Also, is copper sheilding recommended? And what exactly does it do... cuts down on stray field lines right?
Copper shielding will stop electric fields and EM radiation from escaping or getting in (providing the shielding contains gaps no larger than the wavelengths to be shielded against). It does nothing to stop magnetic fields because it's not ferromagnetic.

To shield against magnetic fields you need to use a material like iron (the soft steel used in cases for PCs and other electronic equipment is a pretty good, often free material to use). Note that you can reduce magnetic fields with shielding, but it is impossible to eliminate them entirely, unlike electric fields.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.