Passive or Powered?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
having read loads of threads regarding simple pre amps I am not sure which to build - powered or passive?

My system can include either as for a passive all my equipment can be close and I like the simplicity as well as the fact I could use expensive materials and still end up with a not too expensive pre amp. I like Harry Hallers passive preamp thread for passive.

As for powered I could then place an amp in/on/next to my loudspeakers and drive the cables. I like CarlosFM's hi end preamp for my GC thread for powered.

My system: Quad CDP/Project Xpression turntable(to be upgraded with solid (stone?) base and a few other things later)/BrianGT monoblok GC's/Tannoy Berkeley 15inch Dual Concentrics.

So then which is it to be? Passive or powered for my pre!?!?!?

This is only a question of how your signal sources, volumes pots and amps are impedance matched or how well they fit together. If the power amp has low input impedance your pot will have stronger influence (if you use a regular one) and if the cable length not is short you may loose some of the high frequencies.

To be short: Most of the time a passive preamp will work, not always though.

you could
feed your monoblocks from the cdp o/p direct, if it's variable, to see what gains that brings you.

personally; i get MUCH better results active pre with my Marantz CD63KI sig, feeding an Exposure super XX (10K ohm i/p)or my p3a (24K ohm i/p). but i know that is opposite result to some dutch gaincloners i know.

multi amp

As I may well be making different amps in the future eg GC, tube, JLH class A and possibly a digital which would be best?

I kind of like the simplistic approach of passive pre's as the fewer componants you have between source and amp thebetter to my mind.

if you're experimenting that much it may be worth having one of each anyway, for different situations and your own piece of mind. i use the Audio analogue puccini pre section, here, this wont cost you the earth to find out if you like the principle or not. If you like it you can develop it with better regulators (LM3X7 series) or there's always the AA bellini no-cap pre amp on the same website.
Have fun

I think I'm with Mark25 on this one. Ive used a passive for several years, but an upcoming project this fall will be active. Why?? For no other reason than I'm an audio DIY'r that can't leave well enough alone. :D Oh, and there's a couple of new things I want to try out in it also ...

WAHAY!!

Now why didn't I think of that? I could have BOTH!!!:clown:

I like Harry Haller's (no longer with us) reference passive

Attachments

• passive 2.jpg
    passive 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 192
D'oh!

The two passive pre's where my favourites so far.

I am open to suggestions for fairly simple powered pre's. Simple serves to make it easier for me (being a newbie) and to fill my liking for less components in the signal path.

So suggest away!

this may not seem too simple but I like the idea of a dual mono pre maybe even in the future with battery power like this http://www.teresaudio.com/battery.html

cdp direct

with regard to the suggestion to use the cdp variable output directly.....

My cd is a Quad 99 cdp with variable outputs and a digital volume control. (how does this cdp rate, it it any good?)

If I did use this instead of a pre what would be the best way of hooking up my turntable when I want some Ella & Louis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.