Another way of making the output section with class A predriver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2004, 05:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JensRasmussen Send a message via MSN to JensRasmussen
Default Another way of making the output section with class A predriver

Hello all,

I stumbled across this schematic while looking though some old service manuals. It is the output section of a 150W power amplifier.

Click the image to open in full size.
I like the way itís put together and thought I would share it for interested to use as inspiration for a new design.

\Jens
Old 4th August 2004, 12:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default If leach amplifier (pretty yours) already fell down in you foot finger, you can face

The pain of a heavy class A to.... Join us Jens!, you have a lot to help!... came to us.... class A crazy guys.

No matter your intention, this gift is for me.... everyone that open their mouth to talk about class A, i feel as talking directly to me...and i became happy.

Thank you, my wish, thousand guys came here... full of ideas... with courage to expose them.... will be the best thread from long time.

Carlos
Old 4th August 2004, 01:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't see anything special within this topology (apart from looking "very Philips").

Regards

Charles
Old 4th August 2004, 04:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Charles,

No Philips in here

What else do you see?

\Jens
Old 4th August 2004, 04:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What is device named as IC 1 ?
Old 4th August 2004, 04:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

IC1=MPSA13

Datasheet here

\Jens
Old 4th August 2004, 07:02 PM   #7
Steven is offline Steven  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Indeed, a bit unconventional. Output stage is normal darlington, but bias setting is via resistors R94+95. Temperature compensation via IC1 and TR28, making a temperature dependent current sink. IC1 senses the current through R91. This results in a temperature dependent bias voltage across R94+95.
I don't see the benefit of this compared to a fixed current sink and Vbe multiplier as bias voltage source, though.
Another unusual thing is the driver, TR23, which is an emitter follower instead of the more common common-emitter stage (VAS). This might result in a-symmitrical driving of the output stage. The emitter follower can supply more current (positive edge) than the current sink can sink (negative edge).

Steven
The Analog Art shows no sign of yielding to the Dodo's fate. The emergence and maturation of monolithic processing finesse has perhaps lagged a bit behind the growth of the Binary Business. But whereas digital precision is forever bounded by bits, there is no limit excepting Universal Hiss to the ultimate accuracy and functional variety of simple analog circuits. - Barry Gilbert, 1973
Old 4th August 2004, 07:09 PM   #8
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

The schematic is probably from a B&O amplifier................my guess is probably the Penta powered loudspeaker.
Old 4th August 2004, 07:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hey Jam, you know your vintage stuff

\Jens
Old 4th August 2004, 08:26 PM   #10
sajti is offline sajti  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven
Indeed, a bit unconventional. Output stage is normal darlington, but bias setting is via resistors R94+95. Temperature compensation via IC1 and TR28, making a temperature dependent current sink. IC1 senses the current through R91. This results in a temperature dependent bias voltage across R94+95.
I don't see the benefit of this compared to a fixed current sink and Vbe multiplier as bias voltage source, though.
Another unusual thing is the driver, TR23, which is an emitter follower instead of the more common common-emitter stage (VAS). This might result in a-symmitrical driving of the output stage. The emitter follower can supply more current (positive edge) than the current sink can sink (negative edge).

Steven

Mr. Hood used this type of thermal compensation in some desings. Not so common, but logical...
TR23 is separate the output stage from the VAS. Someone believes, that is reduce the distortion in the output stage, due the low impedance driving.

sajti

Hide this!Advertise here!