New dual-mono power amp - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2008, 02:41 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

and another...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plateback.jpg (95.2 KB, 322 views)
Old 12th January 2008, 02:46 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

and another...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plate1.jpg (81.8 KB, 321 views)
Old 12th January 2008, 11:15 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

Here are a few answers to your questions:

First, I bought the boards from that fellow audiophile from the Montreal region that might start a business with these so unfortunately, I am not allowed to give schematics. I know it will disappoint a lot of people but that is just how it is. Sorry here.

If I sum up the characteristics....

Briefly, EACH CHANNEL is built as follow:

--1 KVa customized Plitron LONO transfo with NO thermistor/thermal switch, NO extra winding for 230V...but with a bigger AWG for wires and therefore NO junctions whatesoever (better current capability and transparency). A real improvement in transparency from the MK I version wich used stock Plitron LONO transfos.

--Power supply using 4 Mallory 40 000 uF CGS caps for a total of 160 000 uF per channel .

-- Bipolar boards with 4 outputs per channel mounted directly on boards, working in class AB, running at +- 64V, boards made of Teflon OFC 4 onces (like in big Levinson) with a dielectric of +- 2, traces sfully balanced, impedance fully balanced, heatsink and output transistors mounted directly on boards so they are fully operationnal even without a chassis, each electrolytic can is bypassed by a prolypolen cap (Mundorf Silver/Oil or Dynamicaps) directly on boards.

-- Ixys soft recovery bridges for B+ and B- per channel (so 2 bridges per channel)

-- Black Gate NX, Mixture of Mundorf Silver/Oil and Dynamicap, capacitors on specific locations on boards and Zobels (after listenning sessions)

-- Mixture of Allen-Bradley, Vishays and NOS dale resistors on specific locations ( after listenning sessions)

-- Mixture of solders (each and evry one of them chosen for sonic characteristics after listenning sessions) ranging from VDH 3% silver, Cardas tri-Eutectic (lead free) and Johnson IA 423.

-- Hi-Fi Tuning fuses (too much hype here), Acme cryo Copper/ silver fuseholders, WBT topline connectors, Furutech copper/gold inlets, copper lugs and stainless and/or brass screws etc...were little toys to experiment with as part of fine tuning that I finally left in place (there not bad though).

--7 to 16 6N-multistranded twisted-copper-braids (with Teflon insulation) per wire throughout..

-- One power cord per channel.

-- Black Diamond Racing cones (3) underneath (had to fine tune were they would end up by ears)

-- Metal work is made of 5/16 '' 6061 aluminium all around

The amp delivers 240W at 8 ohms, 480 at 4 ohms and 946 at 2 ohms...don't have the measurements at the punishing 1 ohm though...But sincerely, I don't have other measurements as I don't really care about how things measure but only about how they sound and if I get emotionnally involved in the realism of music....

TO FELIXX: The customized Plitron LONO are truly excellent, no noise, humm or buzz whatesoever and since they are encapsulated, magnetic field isn't a concern. But BTW, how can I know wheater I have a magnetic stray effect from trannies to modules ??

TO MAXPOU: Craftmanship was made by myself (I used to work in Aerospace for years...now as a nurse in a ICU...go figure !!!). Odd angles and too complicated stuff was done at EMAM (Ecole Métiers Aerospatiale Montreal) as I new a teacher down ther (a friend) that did the complicated stuff for me., Writing was done at Gravures Desmarais in Montreal (excellent place) while anodizing was made at Verdun Anodizing in Verdun.

Regards

Scorpion
Old 12th January 2008, 11:30 PM   #34
Luke123 is offline Luke123  Canada
diyAudio Member

Scorpion

About the #28 post to which no answer has been given from you...
Who is this person?
Nobody seems to know you from Tenor Audio!!!
They never heard of Marc-Andre Rodrigue!
Or any other person that could have helped Tenor Audio's designer.
Your claims seems to be false as I personally know Michel, Tenor Audio's designer.
And He never heard of you...at all!

Luke123
Old 13th January 2008, 06:31 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi Luke123,

Of course they don't know me as I don't know them either (except from seeing Robert Lamarre, Michel Vanden Broeck and pals at the Montreal's Festival Son & Image).

I am not the person that knows them but the guy that helped me with the project has seen/meet different Audio manufacturers from Quebec several times and has more than once commented and/or evaluated some products before they hit the market and were still projects.

This guy has more than 25 years of experience in audio (building stuff). He is from Southshore Montreal. He just doesn't want to be named on this forum and I have to respect that.

So my claim was NOT false at all.

Regards

Marc-André

Hide this!Advertise here!