Desintegrated circuit destroyer construction, will i succed? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2004, 07:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Desintegrated circuit destroyer construction, will i succed?

I was looking to a Radio frequency transistor with power lenses.

I see a lot of transistors in parallell

That transistor was 100 watts unit, 15 amperes unit, 150 Megahertz unit.

Expensive, bad to mount, bad to dissipation.

If i use 50 two watts small transistor together, small ventilation space between them.... low cost 150 megahertz units....one ampere each one.. and despite enormous heat sink, if i use fan pushing air through them!.... will i have equivalent transistor?... many times less the price, and no need of heat sink?....using cheap fan blowers.

Desintegrated, do not now if this name exist in English..never studied english.... maybe no integrated....non integrated, or unintegrated circuit....do not matter .... together, but not too much, wind can pass.....no heatsink price too.

Good business or a foolish...be clear... i am not too much sensitive... and asking opinions, evaluations... this way prepared to listen everything.

Carlos
Old 1st August 2004, 08:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Carlos, it is nonsens. This configuration you can use only for DC or for very slow aplication, 'cos in this case will be very long traces with high inductance, so you can't to use high speed of these transistors.
Old 1st August 2004, 08:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Yes, it is nonsense referred to radio frequency

Was bad idea use the analogy to explain my ideas... Radio frequency is critical in size, capacitance, printed circuit board and other things.

Interesting that i could forget that, having 16 years working fixing VHF transceivers..... was bad analogy.

But transfer this idea entirelly to audio frequency..... lets think in construct one good power transistor with some small transistors.... lets construct the top power Sanken device... 2 times the size!... to audio.

Now things modified a little isnt' it.

Asking you again, what do you think.... make some sense now?

Carlos
Old 1st August 2004, 08:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Carlos, if you use 50 small transistors in TO 126 case, traces on PCB will be app. 50 cm long and it is too much. In this case all circuit will be must compensate for low ft. , so you lost advantage of high speed of this devices and probably this circuit will be unstable. It is blind way .
Old 1st August 2004, 10:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Upupa, i think have not capacitance enough to disturb 20 Kilohertz

I think maybe can avoid some oscilations... not 50 centimeters, five lines of ten in parallell and ending jumpers... those parallel lines do not need to he so close, can be distanced 3 milimeters.. and this maybe can create the 100 pf condenser we normally use from base to colector... emitter more distance from base and colector to avoid big capacitance not to filter highs...but now we are talking to audio frequencies.

I already confident with this use to reduce cost, and already believe it may be good sounding to.... and, the small transistors will have bigger gain than normal power single units.

Desintegrated circuit is interesting to call people, but this is discrete integration flatten surface vented power unit! hahahaha!, i create the name DIF SVPU

Thank you epupa.

Carlos
Old 1st August 2004, 10:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Carlos, I don't talk about capacitance - it i is not problem - but about inductance, it is problem .
Old 2nd August 2004, 04:11 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default I have a friend name Andrejewski

If problem is inductance... can you put ligth in my ignorance.

Not joking, or kiding or beeing ironic

Can you tell me what you can see... what you think, in easy english words please.

Help! epupa...help!

Carlos
Old 2nd August 2004, 04:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Sorry epupa, AndreZjewsky!

He is a very interesting man... good people...kind people from the place i call Tcheco Eslovaquia.... now change name... do not know

Carlos
Old 2nd August 2004, 04:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Carlos, exist only one solutions of correct mechanical configuretion : not only one long line, but five ( for example ) shorter lines connected in parallel. In this case will be every line cca 10 cm long, which is acceptable. Do you understand me now ?
Old 2nd August 2004, 04:53 AM   #10
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"Carlos, it is nonsens. This configuration you can use only for DC or for very slow aplication, 'cos in this case will be very long traces with high inductance, so you can't to use high speed of these transistors."

I'm glad no one ever told me this.

I build a high power (800W nominal) RF amplifier with eight small outputs spaced in two groups of four spread out over a width of about 170mm or so. It runs at 1.2Ghz (1,200,000,000hz).

By comparison, audio is DC.

A few years back Jan Didden built a 200W stereo amplifier with twenty 65Mhz TO126 outputs. To soak up a bunch of power he used some 0.8Mhz TO3 outputs in cascode.

About the same time, Stereophile had a write-up of an amplifier that used a hundred or more TO92 small signal devices as outputs.

Hide this!Advertise here!