balancing act

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of using balanced lines to connect my monoblocks as the sound is supposed to be better (noise/rf rejection etc)

Does anyone know of a good kit(ie not madly expensive and difficult) to use. I am limited to kits at the moment as I am still a learner!

Are the White Noise Audio Kits any good? Someone also sugested optical! Whats involved in that setup? Is it better?

One of the main problems with using optical coupling for quality analogue audio is that the required devices lack linearity.

A simpler and cheaper alternative to balanced might be to use a pre-amp that can drive the cables with a much larger signal than the power amp requires and then attenuate the signal at the power amp end, this would reduce cable induced noise by the same factor.

Rod Elliott

Anyone here use Rods Kit 88 preamp?

Is it any good?

If so I could use that and a balanced line driver for a simple but great sounding pre.

Any ideas? Please remember that kits our simple designs are best at the moment.

I'll be getting some if BrianGT's monoblock GC's soon and these will be my FIRST soldering since leaving school! So for me it really is a case of KISS!!!!:cannotbe:

A simpler and cheaper alternative to balanced might be to use a pre-amp that can drive the cables with a much larger signal than the power amp requires and then attenuate the signal at the power amp end, this would reduce cable induced noise by the same factor.

True. But you would raise the inherent system noise floor by doing this. (The noise figure of the power amp would be multiplied by the attenuation). Still not an all bad option, especially if inherent system noise already is very low.

/M

Do you suffer from interference?
I ran a long cable between two rooms at home, and I used ballanced connections. The circuit was such that if one of the outputs was missing, the gain of the other increased, to maintain the same signal level. I had a problem with the cable, so I arranged one channel as a single ended output by shorting one side. There was no difference in the noise, which was low anyway, between balanced and single ended channels.
In other words, it's probably not necessary to use a ballanced connection.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.