Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2004, 08:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default copper area size

Hi,

How do you calculate the required copper area to be used as a heatsink for components e.g. rectifier diodes ? (I think this area is called Thermal Territory)

Regards,

MB
Old 28th July 2004, 09:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
3 things. Tube diodes (except possible high power specialty types) do not use, nor need heatsinks; SS diodes (except zeners) do not dissipate enough power to bother; and heatsinks are rarely copper.

Tim
Old 28th July 2004, 11:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

OK. First of all, I am talking about SS diodes. For example, SB560 (package: DO-201AD) has theta-ja 25C/W. Assuming 3W dissipation (it is rated at 5W), its temperature rises to ambient + 75C. That seems too much and must be taken into consideration. Only thing can be done is to mount diode in vertical direction and leave a copper area. This is mentioned in ON Semiconductors - Rectifier Applications Handbook - Chapter 2.
Old 28th July 2004, 12:31 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

metebalci, to eliminate confusion (and maybe help you get an answer more quickly), I've moved this over to Solid State.
Old 28th July 2004, 12:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The SB560 has a voltage drop of 0.67V so if you have 3W dissipation you have a current of ~4.5A which is very close to max rating.

I would never use a diode in this package for 3W dissipation, If I needed 4.5A I would select a TO 220 package and screw it to the chassis, it is very bad engineering practice to be so close to device limit as you indicate in this case. I would never exceed more than half the max rating for a rectifier diode, it is easy to find diodes for higher ratings so there is no need to be so close.

Regards Hans
Old 28th July 2004, 05:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

SY, Thanks...

tubetvr, OK. I got it...
Old 28th July 2004, 07:26 PM   #7
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by metebalci
...Only thing can be done is to mount diode in vertical direction and leave a copper area. This is mentioned in ON Semiconductors - Rectifier Applications Handbook - Chapter 2.
A few specs will quote thermal resistance mounted on a pcb, example is Zowie spec for DB102 1A bridge. Junction-to-ambient 40C/W, falls to 15C/W mounted on 0.5" square copper pads, quite significant.

ON's AN1040/D (Mounting Considerations For Power Semiconductors) pdf has a graph showing heat-sink rating against pad area for one pcb example.

More useful files at http://www.onsemi.com/site/support/l...otes_0,00.html
Old 28th July 2004, 10:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

True that copper is more dense and a better conductor than aluminum, electricity and heat. But copper has one major drawback, it corrodes. Unless you plate the copper with something to stop this.

Hide this!Advertise here!