Modifying a Bryston 2B amplifier ..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have experience in upgrading commercial amplifiers?

I have this Bryston 2B LP Pro that i am using right now..
it is very good sounding, but lacks a little bit in power
i openned it up, and the electronics seems very easy at first glance.. typical setup but using chips that i wasn't able to find on the net :(

Also the PS tranformers doesn't seem to be as big as they could be, though this amplifier is rated 60-80 watt per channel in stereo 8omh, it usually has more than 100W when tested by Bryston themselves.

I have run the amplifier in bridged mode a few times for test..
and it plays very well with lots of power ( up to 200W in mono 8omh supposdly. )

What are the usual down sides of running amps like that in bridged mode ? any quality loosses ?

Then i was considering to buy another one of this type, since they can be had for pretty cheap , and come with a good case and all..

what could i do to upgrade this amplifier?
Change the CAPS of the PSU?
use higher rating and voltage transformers?
change the chips?

I guess that it would be lot simpler than to make complete amplifier from scratch since i am complelty NOOB in that domain..
this would make a very good starter project! :)

-- > determining used type of design ( input, output stages)
-- > determine what could be replaced for better performance
( chips, Caps, transfos )
-- > make modifications to design if required by upgrade.

it would surely help me understand amplifiers alot better :)

I know that Brystons are good quality amps, almost undestroyable when it comes to longevity.
( 20 years warranty full full even with no proof of purchase !!)

what should i do ?

BTW, i plan to use those to run my DIY Electrostatic pannels
that i am currently building ... they are supposed to be really stable when working with 4omh and even 3 omh loads..
( supposed to .. )

if anyone has any info on the internal designs of such amps, would be glad to read about it too! :)

Thanks all for your time! :)

please remember that i am totally noob
have read a few books, but that's pretty much it!

lubbie said:
All the schmatics are available right from bryston.. Output design is unique and bryston has numerous patents on it.. The information is great and i've incorperated a couple things from bryston's designs in my current project.

when i go into schematics on their website, it only downloads MAnuals :(

where have you seen the schematics?
do you still have some?

do they provide complete schematics of their amplifiers?
that would be pretty cooool! :)

Well.. Its been awile since i've been there.. Lots has changed with the bryston pages..

Schmatics were available.. Maybe site is still undergoing changes and they haven't updated it completely.. If they don't get it going properly in a couple days, email me and i'll send you the schmatics in PDF.. Its got all of there amps.. 2b 3b 4b 4bst 7b 8b and 14B??? hmmmm... hopefully all those model #'s are right.. :D

Print them on 11X17 paper.. As they are almost inpossible to read otherwise... LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.