extending UPS battery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I realize this is kinda off forum topic. But I figure this is the best forum of all the one I know to ask. I am betting the some people in this particular forum have exerpience with this.

Wondering how to extend the battery (and thus uptime) of a UPS. There are some expensive models with external expansion battery packs. Could I take a more reasonably priced UPS, operate a little, and just hook up a huge honkin' external battery in parallel with the internal one? Or perhaps replace the internal one (or two) with the external one (or two)? Not sure what issues may come with having lead acid sealed gell batteries in parallel. Or how this might impact the internal battery charger.

Thanks a lot for any information!

I've done this myself with a UPS that used two 7 Ah gel cells in series for my home entertainment system. I installed external 17.5 Ah batteries with a quick disconnect inline cable connector designed for high current battery applications.

Because voltage drop in the battery lines can be high due to the large current draw, extend the battery connections only as long as really necessary to reach the external battery and use only an external battery(ies). Using heavier gauge wire won't hurt either. A gel-cell of several times the AH capacity can still be adequately re-charged by the UPS circuit but it will just take that much longer after a use. The thing to worry about more is how well the UPS is designed for duty cycle. A manufacturer making a UPS that is designed to hold a computer up for only as long as it takes to shut it down properly isn't going to build cooling features into their design to allow the UPS to deliver it's max rated output power for an hour or more. You may need to operate the modified UPS with the cover removed and a muffin fan blowing on the power transistor package or/and also power transformer inside to get longer service time under load. You also may need to reduce the max load you expect to keep running on battery backup for a given rated UPS being used for longer backup periods.

Hey. Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I intended to use heavy guage and keep it close. Had not considered the long term thermal aspect. I should only be using roughly half the wattage (not VA) the unit I have in mind is rated for. So hopefully it shouldn't be too big a deal. What about the charger though. Wouldn't it also be designed with a specific charge time in mind? It might not like having to spend 10x as much time charging.

Do you know what would happen if you paralleled batteries? There might be an issue until the voltages were equalized. Perhaps put a power resistor between them for equalization to limit the current. Then connected straight parallel, they could be charged and drained in unison. Maybe? Or if reverse current through the battery with the lower potential is a problem, perhaps run the UPS off each battery set one at a time and disconnect when reaching a specific voltage. I just hate to waste the batteries in the UPS.

You may be thinking too much. Off the top of my head, as long as the charging circuitry can handle the required current (especially at initial charging if starting with low batteries the first time) just wire it up for direct parallel with fat wires and it should be OK. the voltages should all drop at the same time...

...I don't *think* I'm missing something here...

If the batteries have different aamp hours, they would have different internal impeadences. Hope this doesn't effect the operation and charges one battery from the other, it may get hot.:hot:

you may want to add a impeadence matching resistor on both batteries, so the percent difference is not to great.

small Ohm-age though.

hopefully it a older ups. the new ones with smart charging go all
stupid when you mess with the batterys. thay read under charged
or over charged or turn off when the bettery is good and full:xeye:
one ups that would work is a old rack mount u can put a big honkin battery on that. i am soon

ill post a pic of mine so you can see it could handle it. wires and all
you can put bigger batterys on the small ones but there not made
to run that long. and likelly will die when you need it most;)

heres one lets have a boo inside

Attachments

• mvc-834f.jpg
    mvc-834f.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 108
karma said:
hopefully it a older ups. the new ones with smart charging go all
stupid when you mess with the batterys. thay read under charged
or over charged or turn off when the bettery is good and full:xeye:
one ups that would work is a old rack mount u can put a big honkin battery on that. i am soon

ill post a pic of mine so you can see it could handle it. wires and all
you can put bigger batterys on the small ones but there not made
to run that long. and likelly will die when you need it most;)

heres one lets have a boo inside

Thats the same one Im going to use for my 5 channel gainclone :).

Although it looks like yours is the 1200VA version, or maybe more! Mine is only 700VA (times two transformers).

Here is a picture of the top, with transformers in the battery comparments: Top

Front of case

In having experience with these large transformers, you have to be carful that the surge, the current taken to initially saturate such a huge core, can sometimes cause a breaker to trip. Adding a SMALL resistor in series with the primary coil may help this problem somewhat. or maybe a power factor correction AC cap. You can find these on things like ceiling fans and appliances with AC induction motors in them.

ya i have a few laying around it works. not sure what the va is but when i power this sucker up the table shakes:D . for a second or two its only 14v. i did a test with it on a gainclone.
it works good. i can push the chip. and there more base. maybe
because of the va? not sure but i like it:)

i started my mod i used a old server case that would hold the
huge gell cell battery i tested under load with a full charge
5 hours:bigeyes: and some. and that with one cell. used for boats:D . it has wheals so i can move it .better than when it was a rackmount. just need to finish cooling fans ;)

Attachments

• mvc-849f.jpg
    mvc-849f.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 47
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.