Paralleled Toroids?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I acquired a blown car amplifier for some parts I needed for my amp of the same model. I was wondering if it is possible to stack the 2 toroids from the blown amp in parallel with the ones on the good amp? With my lamens way of thinking this would effectively double the current capacity of that part of the power supply, correct?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

will probably destroy the devices that drive it.

Yeah you don't want to do that. Switch mode power supplies (smps) are highly engineered systems and quite complex (try building one). You would definately destroy your amps supply.

To double the power availble to your amps amplifier section you would need to recreate the whole smps and then figure out a way to tie it in and get both smps's to share, and then you'd need to increase the output capacity of the amplifier.

It would be easier just to buy another amp, but hey, what would you learn.

Cheers

In the unregulated push-pull transformer-coupled SMPS topology used in most car audio amplifiers you can safely paralell identycal transformers as long ad the windings are connected properly [same polarities]. Once it works, remember to glue the transformers to the board in order to avoid vibrations and magnet wire insulation damage

Transformers have no fixed current capability, 'I' may be as high as you want and the wire will just heat proportionally to 'I' squared, but heating is not the main concern here

On these SMPS topologies, voltage drop on the output depends more on transformer leakage inductance than on magnet wire resistance. Adding an extra transformer halves leakage inductance so voltage drop is somewhat reduced

Conflicting arguments???????? Hhhhmmmm.......now I'm really confused. I probably don't have 1/100th of the knowledge any of you 3 posses, but my gut instinct tells me Eva is more or less(more than less?) correct. The 2 extra toroidal transformers I have are the exact same as the 2 on the board already. Assuming that if I added them everything is fine, is there any real benefits to doing this besides the ones Eva mentioned(or maybe someone can elaborate a little more on her thoughts for me). I also added 2 more 63v 4700uf caps to the rail supply if that matters any(there were 2 empty spots already on the board just begging for me to put them in:) ).

I agree and disagree with EVA statement; it's correct in that there will be no difference on the high current drive side of the smps as long as saturation and leakage was not a design element, leakage would be greatly reduced and saturation nearly impossible with parallel roids requireing a much higher demand on the high current side if the output asks for it.

Without adding output devices, or a fan maybe, the output section would still need some attention or any higher output from the smps would just be wasted in the amps thermal protection shutting it off mid jam or even worse releasing the smoke.

also added 2 more 63v 4700uf caps to the rail supply

You want to make sure those caps are low esr models to help be effective at what ever your smsp frequency is, 100k + maybe, if not the caps will only partialy load being less effective.

I'm curious though, are you planning on the mod? If so, cuold you post your results and model info and maybe some pic's.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.