MY AV400 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK this is what I'm planning for my HT a 5.1 set-up consisting of:

5 x AV400 amps from aussieamplifiers in monoblock configuration.
+ later on either the 800W or 1kW version for sub duties.

This is my proposed layout is attached.

I've been unable to find any cases I like so I going to have them fabricated. (attached to my next post below)
Basically a box with the Heat sink forming one end, Anthony also used this design I got the idea from his web page.

One of my concerns is that the case will have no vents....do you think this will be a problem?

-power supply
Basically I'm going to follow Anthony's recomendations.
500VA 230V/50-50V Toridal transformer, 400V 35Amp bridge rectifier into 4 x 10,000uF 100VCaps
Do you think 8 x 10,000uF cap would be better as I have room?

Attachments

• av400 mono block.jpg
    av400 mono block.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,595
Yep should be ok.

If you go the the link page on Anthony's web page he lists a supplier for transformers.

I'd consider going bigger if I was putting more than 1 amp in a enclosure but for my application the Jaycar 500VA transformer per monoblock worked out the cheapest.

I ordered 5 of them one for each of the 5 mono blocks I'm building, they took ages to come in.

I haven't had much spare time to work on my amp project.

I've got the heat sinks, capacitor, bridge rectifiers, Transformers etc.

I'm currently having the cases made by a friend.

A friend and I are building them. I was planning on using the 3U rackcase from JayCar and hunting down the rest of the components wherever I could. I am not overly concerned with quality and expensive parts as I am only a uni student. Also this will be my first big high power amplifier so this would be a good learning process. I have built gainclones before with much success but now I need something with a shitload more power :D

I was planning on using a seperate toroid per channel, so the JayCar ones might do the trick it seems. I will get in contact with that link grege left and see what their prices are like. I am in Melbourne, so maybe with shipping it will work out the same, more expensive or hopefully, less.

-Mikey

Some time has past, been quite busy @ work, hows a 1125MVA transformer grab you. :D

So far I have purchased 5 Toridal transformers and some large big *** heat sinks but haven't been able to commit to purchasing the AV400 PCBs with the knowledge that:
1/ the email requesting purchase would probably go unanswered or
2/ I'll end up with the PCBs and run into trouble like others here and have no backup etc.

I'm sure the Anthony's amps are good but support is a must.
On this note I've decided for the moment to can this project.:whazzat:

Anyone have a suggestion for a simular amp ?

I'm now looking at ESP 101P.... But I would like more grunt hence the original choice of the av400...

Why can the project? There are a number of guys on the forum who have built these amps. If you are worried about support you can find it here. Secondly, your power transformer should be at least 625VA. Lastly, by the looks of your initial layout your heat sink looks small. Remember that it should have a thermal resistance of .5 degrees/watt.

Thanks for the encouragement kilowattski.

I really like the spec of the AV400, fitts my plans quite well,
I've been reading about the problems others have had with the AV800, I don't really have the time to sort out problems like that.

Cost of the boards is also quit expensive @ $35 a board.
the p101 is currently $22 ea and has alot of support.

I'm still very undecided,
back to my original choice between the p101 (which has excellent support etc from what I have heard and seen) and the AV400 (which has the grunt but no designer support ).

My heat sinks are rated @ 0.37 deg/watt full specs attached.

As for transformers, I'm building mono blocks 500VA is more than plenty, 625VA is recomended for a stereo pair.

I'm tending to go for the p101 only for the following,
1- cheap boards
2- heaps of support etc

Any thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• heatsink.jpg
    heatsink.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,120
Well, the Holton amp is a lot more powerful, given the 4 pairs of output devices. The thing is, unless you're after that last bit of dynamic power or you have inefficient speakers, it's sort of pointless. Consider using that circuit for your main speakers and the Rod Elliott one for the others. (BTW, I can help with the AV400 if you do choose to build any.)

"Did you have any problems building& tuning your Av400?"

Hahahahaha.... it wasn't pretty. When I built my sym amps (that's what Holton called it), as far as I know no one else had attempted it. That's different now, at least we know what you have to be careful about. It was probably the fastest way to learn about thermal stability. :)

Funny how now I recommend these amps, they're pretty good, lacking a bit of detail compared to a great class A amp, but the effortless power is addictive (not just for loud levels). I went through so much trouble getting them running, and it was all worth it. If you build them now, it probably won't be so much trouble because the PCBs are correct and we know which problems to worry about. It will cost a good bit more than the P101 amps though, so if you're making 5, I would really consider whether the power is absolutely necessary. What speakers are you using? You could even build an extra pair of P101s and bi-amp (which is preferable to a single larger amp, IMO).

I'm glad to hear that the AV400 is sorted etc.

Lets see if I get a response from Anthony for the boards.

As for power I've always been a believer in getting as much as you can afford etc.

These amps will easy blow my current (cheap) speakers to bits,
building new speakers will be my next project still researching.
I'm looking at a mix of HiFi/PA for speaker design for top boxes and probably a horn arrangement for the subs etc,

I've considered BI-amping but this would really blow out costs and complicate the setup, I can live with passive x-overs until I have everything else addressed.

Component costs I'm not to worried about, big ticket items such as power supply transformer and capacitors etc I have picked up for next to nothing. I'm more concern with ensuring it works properly and looks good.

Well time to bring this thread back to life again it's been some time.

I'll eventually getting these suckers built. Work and my other hobbies (HT & coffee) seem to keep interfering...

I got the AV400 boards off Mr Holton last yr, it's good it see him back, and he has been very helpful.

I've now got all the parts except some resistors I need to pickup.

I've had some custom cases made up(laser cut really cool to watch) just need to drill out some more holes for mountings and get them powdercoated at work:D etc .

I'll post so pics monday.

Biggest delay is finding time to drill and tap all the requred holes in the heatsinks...hopfully this wk.

Just waiting for him to compete his amp control board/circuit (moment on/off,spk protection, shutdown on DC detection, softstart etc).

more to come later

Here's the layout of the cases I had made.

Not all the HW mounting holes are shown on this drawing yet.
I still have to mark it up, after the final internal layout.
Then if there a next time the laser cutting will do them all for me, yea no drilling :)
If anyone wants a copy the DXF just PM me

Attachments

• av400 mono block case rev mar 06.pdf
    57.8 KB · Views: 280
Gee work & lifes been real busy...I haven't had much time for this project + I've just upgrade my projector in my HT to a sony1292:D .

Anyway I got to work on it today drilled all the additional holes etc. cases are off the be powercoated black Monday.

Here are mock up some pics of one of the five amps.
More details are on my web page.

Attachments

• dscf0028.jpg
    dscf0028.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 551
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.