diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Is this worth building? 400W MOSFET (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/37754-worth-building-400w-mosfet.html)

PetarLD 13th July 2004 06:49 PM

Is this worth building? 400W MOSFET

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, I am going to do senior project for high school, and I was thinking what could be better than building an amplifier. I already have some experience with the P3A, but I have a +/- 70VDC @ 10A and I want to use it for something.

So I found this amp on a bulgarian page that I was looking through, so my question is it worth it building using may be new MOSFETs since I don't know if these are still produced the amp is dated 1994, I have the whole guide all 5 pages.

I am also looking at the P68 on Rod's site, which one is easier to build and more reliable, also I am on a limited budget $150, and I also have to buy the driver and build the enclosure.

So far I have the transformer caps and bridge, some left over bc546s and 3 of each of the drivers from the P3A and lots of resistors.

Thanks, Petar

Frazzled 13th July 2004 07:49 PM

I have seen this before but I can't put my finger on it right now, at any rate the article, as old as it is, is still protected by copyright and I have to question your decision to post it here, perhaps a link to the site would have been more appropriate, it would have served the same purpose without exposing DIY to any of the legal issues surrounding copyright.:smash:

millwood 13th July 2004 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Frazzled
is still protected by copyright

copyright? what copyright? at one time a famous poster here taunted me to post a spice model, after I had told him that it was copyrighted.

Yes, I agree with you that we all should be careful about any IP rights.

PetarLD 13th July 2004 09:31 PM

Sorry, the site that I got it from didn't say anything about copyright or such. How do I take it off, the edit button is gone.

mr l 13th July 2004 10:58 PM

hello,
the schematic shown is the original symmetrical 400 amp by anthony holton, it featured in silicon chip magazine around 1993?
the circuit has been updated & pcb's available from www.aussieamplifiers.com
the original article is there also.

mr l 13th July 2004 11:02 PM

p.s.
i've built a pair of sym 400 amps,and they sound fantastic!

cunningham 13th July 2004 11:26 PM

I would be interested in seeing a Bode plot(freq. vs dB) for the input vs output at rated load to see what the freq. responce is.:confused:

Frazzled 14th July 2004 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mr l
hello,
the schematic shown is the original symmetrical 400 amp by anthony holton, it featured in silicon chip magazine around 1993?
the circuit has been updated & pcb's available from www.aussieamplifiers.com
the original article is there also.

AH HA!!! That is where I know that circuit from.
I am, slowly but surely, building a couple of Anthony's AV800 amps.

;)