Elliot's DOZ for headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, i want to incorporate a headphone amp inside my preamp, and spent a while looking for some posibilities. The first one i considered was the THS6012 based one (a high speed opamp designed for ADSL, *impressive* specs!), but it's just too irksome to implement, being a SMD chip.

So, now i'm focusing on this design. Looks quite simple, and reminiscent of the JLH series (perhaps that's why i like it), and if it sounds half as good as the JLH, i'm set. Has anyone tried this design? Comments? Feedback? All appreciated! :D

Forgot to mention: I have a +/- power supply, so I'm building one channel of the DoZ to run off a negative supply. Using complementary transistors, reversing caps, etc. This was the way I was going to build it up for a headphone amp, running off a +/- 25V supply.
If you're building this into a preamp, you might also consider just an op-amp like the OPA2134 (you can parallel them for more output current), or a boosted version using something like the BUF634. Ideas abound at the headwize site. Your choice may depend on how much power supply you have, and what headphones you are driving.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
paulb,

I'm no expert but "building one channel of the DoZ to run off a negative supply" seems more complicated than just paralleling up the output to give +25v with twice the current.

I'm building a DoZ as well but haven't thought much about the PS yet. I was planning to run it from my existing +25 0 -25 volt PS, bugger. :)

Greg

grege said:

I'm no expert but "building one channel of the DoZ to run off a negative supply" seems more complicated than just paralleling up the output to give +25v with twice the current.
My supply has a common ground. I can't parallel it up. Thus the complementary channel.

I could buy parts for a new supply but I'm a bit of a cheapskate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.