Current Source <- how to optimize?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Current Source <- how to optimize?

To the audio gurus:

I'm just learning audio circuit design. For the input stage of a power amplifier, I need a constant current source. I know I can use a simple resistor, but this will not be optimal I guess.

The picture below shows the simplest possible approach. How can this be improved / optimized (only regarding sound)?

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 2,120
I prefer LEDs as voltage references in a CCS. Noise and temp. coeff. are better than a zener or string of "normal" diodes.

A simple current source for the reference element can be built using a FET and a resistor. If you need two current sources, one on each rail, you can of course use this for both sides.

Generally, a high hfe for T1 improves performance. A darlington might help. The 2SA1376 is a good choice, I think.

Here's the current source from my preamp which I like very much:

Attachments

• ccs_pre.jpg
    ccs_pre.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 2,076
does it REALY matter?

I'm not for sure if it makes a lot of difference, I just started designing my first amp.
It only appears to me that the current source I will use gives best results so I think it's the best choice, and beside 4 resistors one cap and two transistors is not the end of the world.
It matters slightly in psrr and cmrr so I stick to my choice.

kind regards, jef

Re: Current Source <- how to optimize?

EE said:
To the audio gurus:

I'm just learning audio circuit design. For the input stage of a power amplifier, I need a constant current source. I know I can use a simple resistor, but this will not be optimal I guess.

The picture below shows the simplest possible approach. How can this be improved / optimized (only regarding sound)?
You can check some of my stuff but if you use these searchwords

current source

current source cascode

current source cascode wilson mirror

MAT02

Use these words in different combinations when you are using www.google.com you come up with tons of info. Sorry not to be at much help right now. It's a big topic.

When theory is not enough...

From my experience the most pleasant sound comes from the simpler current sources, although their objective performance is worse. A simple one-transistor-circuit with a heavily filtered voltage reference is hard to beat. If you have a very clean power supply and some headroom regarding supply voltage, a single resistor might perform even better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.