First project: finished! (pics - 250KB) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2004, 08:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to hegestratos Send a message via AIM to hegestratos Send a message via MSN to hegestratos
Cool First project: finished! (pics - 250KB)

Actually, it's been finished a while, but I just didn't get around to taking pictures. So without further ado I present my first project: a gilmore dynamic headphone amp with a superregulator powersupply! W00T! More info can be found on my superregulator and gilmore pages.

Help yourself to the pictures below.

So how does it sound? Good. Better than good. I have Philips HP890 headphones, and my hifi system just doesn't have the power to drive them well. The gilmore does not saturate at all. The power in the bass is amazing. It has no problem at all driving these puppies. Wow. It's such a pleasure to listen.

Some odd stuff I ran across... I didn't bother to match the transistors, leds and resistors (as is recommended). I would play around with different leds in the current sources and find pairs that would give me the least DC offset at the output. First set I tried gave me less than 1mV with the servo on. I figured I was lucky. Then, I blew a led. So I just soldered in another one, measured the DC offset and it was still below 1mV. What's with all the stories of large DC offsets?

And then there's one small problem. It hums. A little. No, really, just a little. Can't hear it unless there's hardly any input at all. But it's annoying. I've tried shielding the mains cables, added a grounded metal plate between the PSU and the amp, but it's still there. It goes away if I talk the amp further away from the PSU, so I'm guessing it's currents induced by the magnetic field from the transformer. I should have gotten a larger enclosure.

Superregulator:
Click the image to open in full size.

Whole thing:
Old 11th July 2004, 08:30 PM   #2
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks good! How does it sound?

You might consider putting the power supply ( or transformer ) in a different chassis.

We need more projects like this on the forum.

Jam.................he hates clones of any sort!
Old 11th July 2004, 08:48 PM   #3
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
this is looking good. This is about the same kinda thing that i want to build for my laptop and stuff so i can listen to tunes.. Are all these parts easy to get ? do you have spare or extra boards i can buy ? you can email me personally if you want.

thanks

jason.
Old 11th July 2004, 09:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

transformer definitely too close to the active electronics.

Next up, build a dynahi.
Old 12th July 2004, 02:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to hegestratos Send a message via AIM to hegestratos Send a message via MSN to hegestratos
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL
Are all these parts easy to get ? do you have spare or extra boards i can buy ? you can email me personally if you want.
The parts are relatively easy to get. It's much easier in the US than in Europe, I'm sure. I don't have spare boards. I etched them myself. I can send you the layouts in Postscript.

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin gilmore
transformer definitely too close to the active electronics.

Next up, build a dynahi.
You really are crazy, aren't you? I can see the lights dim when I power this sucker up already. That monster of yours requires its own nuclear power station.

No seriously - next thing might be putting it in a different enclosure to get rid of the hum. Then, I'm going to look into a preamp/amp/speakers. I got interested in those Apogee ribbons, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

Cheers,
Alfred
Old 17th September 2004, 02:45 AM   #6
geekay is offline geekay  China
diyAudio Member

very good designĄŁ

Hide this!Advertise here!