Tda2050

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is a integrated class AB ~25-30W (as stated from the manufacturer) made by philips.
I thought i´d use it in a "lo-Fi / mid-Fi" system..like my computer...
Anybody buildt an amplifier with this circuit??
Are there any experience about this circuit??
any help would be appreciated!

Hello Mr. Triatic,

I've built an amp with 2050's couple of years ago.
For multimedia purpose mainly.
And was not so impressed - it sounds too "plastic"...
With 4 Ohm speakers it sounds just awful:(

I've tried different scematics/layouts, so I'm afrraid that it's 2050's fault, not mine.

I strongly recommend TDA7294 or 7293 for computer audio applications...

Good luck!!!

I think the TDA2050 would sound pretty good with a high quailty opamp driving it especially for just computer speakers. I had heard a TDA2010 (10W) driven by a NE5534 many years ago and I remember the sound wasn't to bad driving some radio shack speakers.

The TDA2050 is one of the chips you can use to build an amp "a la Gaincard". Take a look at this page:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_gc.html

I built an amp with the TDA2050 a couple of years ago from a very simple schematic published at Hi-Fi World (you can find the same schematic at the sheet provided by the manufacturer of the TDA2050 -it is easy to find it in pdf format on the net-, and the Gaincard comes from this schematic even more simplified), and I found it an easy, fun, and reliable project. The performance is good, comparable with average commercial designs; don't expect miracles, anyway.

Good luck.

JP.

I build a stereo amp with the tda2050 and i came to the conclusion that it is'nt that bad at all if you enlarge the input cap
to 4.7 uf and the ouput cap to 2200 uf the amp sounds warmer
and the buffer cap's should be large at least 10000 uf for stereo
the disortion is reduced for at least 10%
the gainclone theorie of using 1000 uf as buffer is the most stupid thing i ever heard
at high output levels as 20w de disortion is uge with 1000 uf
and with 10000 uf the disortion is almost 0

archer out

the disortion is reduced for at least 10%
at high output levels as 20w de disortion is uge with 1000 uf
and with 10000 uf the disortion is almost 0
Just curious, did you actually measure this?
the gainclone theorie of using 1000 uf as buffer is the most stupid thing i ever heard
Well, you have to keep in mind that all these chips are of very different quality. Some of them have very high PSRR.
The TDA2050 for example has relatively low PSRR.
Still it´s unbelievable for me that these chips can properly operate with input ripples of several volts at high output current but that is of course not a very scientific statement.
I build LM3886 amplifier with 2*10000u and 2*1000u and can´t hear a difference but that´s me and my ears.
So you´d have to measure and listen yourself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.