Simple toroidal power supply assembly question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2004, 05:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Simple toroidal power supply assembly question

This is regarding the simple power supply topology Leach recommends from his amp (here ). This is what I've come up with so far.

1) Here is the diagram on the side of my toroidal transformer. I'm thinking I need to combine the Blue and Violet wires on the primary winding and connect them to one of the AC pins (and it doesn't matter which?) and take the Brown and Grey wires and connect them to the other AC pin. Then on the secondary windings combine the Red and Orange wires and connect them to the AC ground pin. and then the Yellow wire will be 40VAC and the Black wire will be 40VAC that is opposite polarity of the Yellow wire.

2) I will then connect the yellow wire to one of the AC pins (doesn't matter which one, marked by a ~) on my bridge rectifier and the Black wire to the other AC pin.

3) This will result in +57VDC showing up on the "+" pin of the bridge rectifier and -57VDC showing up on the "-" pin of the bridge rectifier.

4) It should be ok to test this by hooking up the primary wires and connecting the yellow and black secondary wires to their respective pins on the bridge rectifier and NOT hooking the red and orange secondary wires to AC ground. There would also be no filter caps or fuses connected. I should be able to test this setup using a multimeter and measuring the "+" pin on the bridge rectifier with respect to the AC ground pin and get +57VDC and testing the "-" pin on the bridge rectifier with respect to ground and getting -57VDC.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could verify that ALL of the above statements are correct and if they are NOT correct telling me what is wrong with these assumptions. I've never wired a power supply before and I want to be extra careful.

Hide this!Advertise here!