Citation Sixteen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, here is a very nice looking amplifier from Harman/Kardon.

I have one here that has a problem which is the same in both channels. When powered up, both channels are swung hard to the positive supply rail even though none of the outputs appear to be bad. The transistors on the driver boards are good as well.

I'm wondering if this is a good chance at being the chip and if so, is it a common problem?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Duo,
The chip may not be able to correct for the fault and be just fine. Since both channels are affected, look in the power supply or common bias circuit first. I have worked on these eons ago, quite frankly, I forget the configuration.
Above all, keep an open mind.
-Chris

Well, I checked the opamp power. It is fine. +-10V on each opamp.

There is nothing shared between either channel besides the chassis, power cord, power switch, and ground. Very separated design, I like that.

Stupid of me that I didn't think to test the output current.
There is no output current flow at all. Well, I'll certainly be looking into that.

Worked on a few of them.. Even have a schmatic for it. Not here but at the shop. :)

There is a bunch of info available for mods on this amp also.. I believe Nelson Pass wrote an article on making this amp into a mosfet output...

I'll locate schmatic.. and my notes on repairing amp.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Current source(s) are down

Hi Duo,
No bias normally means the current sources are down too. That's why the 739 is railed. If I recall, there was the uA739 and uA749. One had a resistor built in, the other used an external current source (or resistor) for pull down (?). Marantz 3800's used them as well.
That chip has selectable fixed gain if I remember correctly.
Lubbie, would you mind sending me a copy too please?:wave2:
Thanks, Chris

Well, after observing the opamp rails, which are regulated by zener diodes, I have found that the opamp is swinging its output so hard that the positive rail is being pulled down through it's bias resistor. So much so that the resistor is getting warmer than it should. I measured 78V across the positive bias resistor, and 39V across the negative one, so the opamp is obviousely drawing enormous current.

Does anyone here have the schematic for this amplifier handy?

With 78V on one bias resistor you have lost a ground.

78V + 39V = 117V

The zeners are around 10V (if my memory is correct).

Normal is ±67V or so.

So it should be +67 (57 across resistor), +10, 0, -10, -67 (57 across resistor).

Follow the input grounds through the PC board to the power transformer.

Here comes the info i originally offered... hope they all upload...
I've decreased everything, just so i could post them.

I've got the tech manual,suppliment and owners manual. What i upload is what i'll give for free... :D

Attachments

• citation 16 schmatic page 1.jpg
    citation 16 schmatic page 1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,576
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.