The interesting Luxman stage - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2002, 07:08 AM   #61
Account Disabled

here it is....
Attached Files
File Type: zip ccs3.zip (4.6 KB, 164 views)
Old 24th May 2002, 07:18 AM   #62
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

......are you talking about the topic here? Has the ongoing discussion anything to do with folded cascode? Maybe you should start a new thread?
Old 24th May 2002, 07:22 AM   #63
Account Disabled

Smile hi peranders..

.....bye
Old 24th May 2002, 09:20 AM   #64
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"The JAES article you're talking about, can it be the one about error correction? " I think it may be this one, but without making an 80 mile trip to the engineering library I can't be sure.
Search Results

A Topology to Linearize Miller-Effect Compensated Amplifiers
Vol. 32, Number 6 pp. 430 (1984)
Author: Steven J. Gunderson
Abstract: An additional topology to Miller-effect compensated amplifiers, which reduces high-frequency distortion, is described. The addition is implementable in discrete or integrated circuits, with little or no additional complexity required in designs incorpor

" The AudioXpress link tells me nothing more than there are pcb's available. Somebody who can fill in for me?" The Lang amplifier is a cross coupled dual diff input amplifier with the interstage we are discussing. It is designed for two pair of TO3 lateral MOSFET outputs. If the Semelabs Buz900D/905D were used it could deliver as much as 50W class A or 200W class AB.
Old 24th May 2002, 03:12 PM   #65
Account Disabled

Default hi djk...

the gunderson jaes article is also available as us patent #4511857 from
www.uspto.gov

....you will need to install free tiff viewer to download the material.....
Old 24th May 2002, 03:41 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

I use "Patent Grabber" for Macintosh which can download tiff or PDF's! Send me a message if anyone wants pdf's. I'm sure there is a freeware or shareware for Windows too. Check http://www.versiontracker.com

I notice though that this patent is a little bit to old for pdf.
Old 26th May 2002, 10:28 PM   #67
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: the electrical performance is astonishing and I'm sure the musical performance also

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryHaller
Ha ha ha ha ha...... I'm sorry I could help myself. Often times the more complicated a circuit is and the lower the static distotion numbers are the worse it sounds. Go look at some of the well reviewed designs and you see very simple signal paths. The simpler circuits from Nelson Pass sound better than the earlier designs that measure better.

Servos.
So you want to trade one good film cap for the same good film cap inside the feed back loop of a high gain op amp integrator with another set of supplies for the servo and the interaction of the servo amp with the origional amp circuit. And this will sound better..... Why?

1 µF plastic than a 100-1000µF electrolytic.
Depends on the film cap and the electrolytic. Any one want to put a Wima up against a Black Gate electrolytic?

H.H.
I just wan't to tell that i have tried this out this weekend.. I had rebuild one of my old amps which my little brother had broken by a party!! Dammnnn!!!! My dad wanted it.

Okay first i repaired and test it then i removed the Servo and modified the feedback loop as in the circuit for the schematic uploaded by Per.

Only one trimmer in the circuit for idlecurrent -- dc offset at the output +/- 5 - 10mV without matching of the BJT (Sorry volks! No Fet's at all)....

Now this amp sounds better than my own ...... snif snif I wan't IT BACK ... And he is only laughing!

I have listen to it for some hours this weekend. Maybe i will post the schematic ... Maybe i don't .. You never know!?

Sonny
Old 29th May 2002, 09:37 PM   #68
Account Disabled

Default hi sonny..

we wait with bated breath...
Old 31st May 2002, 08:04 AM   #69
Account Disabled

Thumbs up an interesting quote...

"Separately, there are a few areas in even the best designs where cost considerations are evident, but the conscientious audio designer makes sure that to the best of his knowledge, they don't impose sonic strictures. But the more expensive approach does not always bring improvement -- audible or otherwise. Certainly improvement does not necessarily follow from increasing complexity. More likely, the reverse is true. Progress is made when you scientifically systematize and quantify noted effects. This industry has been besieged by a number of unsubstantiated hypotheses (and its share of sales malarkey) of late.

"We need more scientific methodology so there is less 'caveat emptor', even if the snake oil has been largely reserved for those who can (or wish to) afford it. Objective double-blind testing has eradicated some long-held audio myths -- to my ears at least. Not that all amps, or preamps, sound alike -- but a lot of good ones are not necessarily distinguishable. Sure, use a more expensive part if it really does sound better, but don't waste a lot of peoples' money if you can't prove it. The best designs evolve from those individuals and companies who maintain a healthy skepticism for unsupported postulates, but are quick to grasp the provable achievements. The real art is bringing the greatest good (music) to the greatest number."
by the late bob tucker of Dynaco
Old 31st May 2002, 09:33 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

My original idea of starting this thread was to talk about the design in particular and the unusual approch with folded cascodes.

Am I boring when I want to talk about the thread topic?

Hide this!Advertise here!