ReVox B750MK2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2004, 09:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ReVox B750MK2

Itīs good in sound quality????
all info abut this vintage amplifier is welcome!!!!
Old 1st July 2004, 07:03 PM   #2
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
Depends, it might need a full checkout to see if there are no oxidized connectors or leaky old Elkos.

I listened to the following old Revox stuff (amps): A50, A78, A722, B780, B251 and the sound was great for their age. The A50 was 30 y/o, had no replaced parts inside and sound was good; maybe a bit hissy & vintage though

Mail me at lucpes79_at_fastmail_dot_fm if you need the B750 service manual - in german unfortunately. Lots of info in there and oh, beware! these things have a whole religion going around them )

How much were you asked for it? Better take it down to your place and give it a run on your own speakers if possible.
Old 1st July 2004, 09:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I know most of the Revox amps.

The wooden case A50 and much bigger alu/steal B750MKII were my favourites.Especially the first one.

From wooden amps more powerfull A 78MKII sounded worse.

The 250/251 series really sucks.
In case of Revox one can say "the newer it is the worst it sounds".

B750MKII was my second favourite and the last good sounding amp from Revox.Give it a nice preamp and it will sound much better.

But I always changed all electrolitics.

Bartek
Old 12th January 2012, 08:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygibajt View Post
I know most of the Revox amps.

The wooden case A50 and much bigger alu/steal B750MKII were my favourites.Especially the first one.

From wooden amps more powerfull A 78MKII sounded worse.

The 250/251 series really sucks.
In case of Revox one can say "the newer it is the worst it sounds".

B750MKII was my second favourite and the last good sounding amp from Revox.Give it a nice preamp and it will sound much better.

But I always changed all electrolitics.

Bartek
ohh this a dead thread but jus for the hell of it
i repair a B251 i will agree that is terrible equipment what attracts me though is the power supply

its a high power shelf oscillating psu ..inverter type but no IC based...or any other active part ... just resistor capacitors and feedback trafo ......rather odd ..the idea actually originates from Philips and its a complete copy paste of the power supply of the first economic bulb the SL18 or SL25 adopted to operate in other voltage and may be other frequency.

many will say that this type of technology is no longer in use yet its very simple to make .. an after all it has been working for such a long time ...

havent finished my repair yet .... and will scope the all thing around mostly to see if and how a supply like that will effect sound .

Its worth to mention that a Greek company around 1995 try to make the same power supply ( also stolen from the SL18- SL25 circuit ) which actually failed in long run.... it was possible to operate though ...
now days with more experience i found out that the transformer used wasn't proper and then EMI rejection or mains filtering was something completely unknown at the time ...

Last edited by east electronics; 12th January 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!