ReVox B750MK2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends, it might need a full checkout to see if there are no oxidized connectors or leaky old Elkos.

I listened to the following old Revox stuff (amps): A50, A78, A722, B780, B251 and the sound was great for their age. The A50 was 30 y/o, had no replaced parts inside and sound was good; maybe a bit hissy & vintage though :)

Mail me at lucpes79_at_fastmail_dot_fm if you need the B750 service manual - in german unfortunately. Lots of info in there and oh, beware! these things have a whole religion going around them :))

How much were you asked for it? Better take it down to your place and give it a run on your own speakers if possible.

I know most of the Revox amps.

The wooden case A50 and much bigger alu/steal B750MKII were my favourites.Especially the first one.

From wooden amps more powerfull A 78MKII sounded worse.

The 250/251 series really sucks.
In case of Revox one can say "the newer it is the worst it sounds".

B750MKII was my second favourite and the last good sounding amp from Revox.Give it a nice preamp and it will sound much better.

But I always changed all electrolitics.

Bartek

I know most of the Revox amps.

The wooden case A50 and much bigger alu/steal B750MKII were my favourites.Especially the first one.

From wooden amps more powerfull A 78MKII sounded worse.

The 250/251 series really sucks.
In case of Revox one can say "the newer it is the worst it sounds".

B750MKII was my second favourite and the last good sounding amp from Revox.Give it a nice preamp and it will sound much better.

But I always changed all electrolitics.

Bartek

ohh this a dead thread but jus for the hell of it
i repair a B251 i will agree that is terrible equipment what attracts me though is the power supply

its a high power shelf oscillating psu ..inverter type but no IC based...or any other active part ... just resistor capacitors and feedback trafo ......rather odd ..the idea actually originates from Philips and its a complete copy paste of the power supply of the first economic bulb the SL18 or SL25 adopted to operate in other voltage and may be other frequency.

many will say that this type of technology is no longer in use yet its very simple to make .. an after all it has been working for such a long time ...

havent finished my repair yet .... and will scope the all thing around mostly to see if and how a supply like that will effect sound .

Its worth to mention that a Greek company around 1995 try to make the same power supply ( also stolen from the SL18- SL25 circuit ) which actually failed in long run.... it was possible to operate though ...
now days with more experience i found out that the transformer used wasn't proper and then EMI rejection or mains filtering was something completely unknown at the time ...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.