Hafler 500 amp Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2000, 02:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

I have a Hafler 500 amp that's about 15 years old. Can I use it to power a LFE channel on my HT. I don't have any info on this amp and would love any comments on it. Modification need for low frequency response? Thanks
Old 13th June 2001, 09:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default It will work fine

This is a tank amp. Well, if you have one, you know that it is built like one. The only possible issue may be age and its caps. They can be replaced for a lot less than it would cost to buy any amp like it. Joy of this amp line is that it can be repaired and modded. The only issue anyone really ever had with these is the HF sound - its sounds like a solid state amp.

Its orginal specs were 255w into 8ohms and that was conservitive. If you want, it can be mono'ed and will drive more than 800watts into 8ohms. It can supply the current to really follow that voltage! I plan to use a pair that I have to do the same thing.
Old 14th June 2001, 01:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Scott,
I've got the 'pro' version of that amp (use it to play bass), and sold a screaming blue million of them back when I was in the stereo business. It's a good mid-fi amp, better in the bass than the mid-range and highs. The capacitor bank in the power supply is a bit shy for an amp of that size; peaks tend to limit as a consequence.
Consider adding to the power supply capacitance if you intend to push it hard. Yes, it can be modified, but it's a fairly well balanced circuit as it is. You shouldn't need to fiddle with it to get it to go deep. All in all, it was a damned decent piece of hardware for the money.

Grey
Old 17th June 2001, 10:38 AM   #4
ppl is offline ppl  United States
diyAudio Member

What about the XL-280 I have one of these that is working and was thinking of using it rather than buy another amp for my Rear Channels. I am using 250 per Channel Leach type amp on the Front.
Old 18th June 2001, 05:44 PM   #5
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

At the TNT-Audio Addicts forum they have a file called DH200 Modsd and Tweaks which contains the original POOGE 2 article from Audio Amateur by Marsh, Jung et al, as well as the notes from the old Musical Concepts Mod.

but you will have to join.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tnt-audioaddicts

Regards
James
Old 20th June 2001, 01:16 AM   #6
ppl is offline ppl  United States
diyAudio Member

The TNT Grup on Yahoo mentioned showes the DH200ModSd as no matches found. That site is the most difficult to navigate through i have seen, But thanks for the link Anyway

Hide this!Advertise here!