Yamaha, transistors capacitors, biasing p2200 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2004, 01:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to priscared
Default Yamaha, transistors capacitors, biasing p2200

Gday,
As some of u r aware i have a p2200 yamaha amp.
I have acqired a brand new channel for the one that was broken (what are the ods hey??) and plugged it all in and it now works... I obtained the amp originally only with one workin channel. Now i have both channels but only one set of output transistors. I have been informed by speedy spares on motorolla replacement transistors so its all good to go.... Now the supply caps, although they still work, one had leaked a tiny amount of fluid so i believe it should be replaced to be safe. Now Im seeking a 22,000uf 100v cap should anyone have one lying around. I no some of YOU do cause my mate in the US had one, however i dont no whats goin on with him(email doesnt seem to work) so i have to find another replacement, unless he reads THIS. ANyway, so if anyone has a 22,000uf 100v please email me!!!

As for the new channel, on the top of the channels pcb, there is a variable resistor, anyone no any info of this piece of equipment, theoritically this board doesnt need to be biased, so what does this do, is it adjustable GAIN? Any info would be hugely apreciated.
ALso if anyone has any output transistors for this board (San ken or the equivalent motorolla parts) please contact me.
Thankyou
Daniel
priscared@hotmail.com
there should be more threads on this somewhere, if anyone can be bothered searchin, maybe u have some transistors... 2sa909 umm cant remeber the otheres.
Old 29th June 2004, 03:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default hello....?

theres way to many people on this site, the pros must get sick of these stupid questions, oh well, ...
Old 30th June 2004, 11:10 AM   #3
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The pot will almost certainly be output stage bias adjust. Ideally you want to measure the current in the output stage (usually by measuring the voltage drop over one of the emitter resistors) and adjust this so both channels are equal. If in doubt, leave it alone - misadjusting it can burn out the output stage.
Old 2nd July 2004, 12:25 AM   #4
lubbie is offline lubbie  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lubbie
Guess what.. I've got a service & owners manual for the P2200 or maybe its the P2100.. I've never needed it and i've not seen my Yamaha Pro amp in awhile.. I know it still works, its running the sub in bridged mode, and it does wonders. The service manual is about 120 pages... The input is not a true balanced input, even though it uses XLR's, its configured as an unballanced input...

If i remember right it is the bias for the amp. Yamaha recommends not adjusting it.. LOL
Old 2nd July 2004, 03:54 AM   #5
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I once had a brain but it fell out..
Old 2nd July 2004, 04:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default new board

i got a brand new channel for it, it is slightly different from the old one, different caps on it. but its variable resistor is in a different position to the other two, should i adjust it the same or just leave it, also if i replace the outputs with motorolla parts, will i have to adjust it, if so how. Thankyou all,
Anyone got any 22000uf 100v caps?
Thanks
Daniel
Old 2nd July 2004, 07:55 AM   #7
lubbie is offline lubbie  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lubbie
I'll look for the service manual.. Check out the owners manual at

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...amp/P2201E.pdf
Old 2nd July 2004, 08:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I emailed you a couple weeks ago, when you responded to some other non related thread of mine.

Is it your email that doesn't work? I can give you a different one for me if needed.
Old 2nd July 2004, 01:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default email

i tried both my emails, one didnt work the other said your mailbox was full.
Thanks
Daniel
Old 2nd July 2004, 03:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: new board

Quote:
Originally posted by priscared
i got a brand new channel for it, it is slightly different from the old one, different caps on it. but its variable resistor is in a different position to the other two, should i adjust it the same or just leave it, also if i replace the outputs with motorolla parts, will i have to adjust it, if so how. Thankyou all,
Anyone got any 22000uf 100v caps?
Thanks
Daniel

Ok, so what is this "new channel"? Is it the power amp PCB only? Is it complete with output transistors? Is it genuine Yamaha from same model amp?

If either the module does not have output transistors or you replace the outputs with a substitute, then the bias WILL have to be set up. To do this you need to know what bias current to set to, and a variable limited power supply to avoid blowing things up if you adjust the wrong way....

Are you really that much further ahead?

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!