Yamaha, transistors capacitors, biasing p2200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gday,
As some of u r aware i have a p2200 yamaha amp.
I have acqired a brand new channel for the one that was broken (what are the ods hey??) and plugged it all in and it now works... I obtained the amp originally only with one workin channel. Now i have both channels but only one set of output transistors. I have been informed by speedy spares on motorolla replacement transistors so its all good to go.... Now the supply caps, although they still work, one had leaked a tiny amount of fluid so i believe it should be replaced to be safe. Now Im seeking a 22,000uf 100v cap should anyone have one lying around. I no some of YOU do cause my mate in the US had one, however i dont no whats goin on with him(email doesnt seem to work) so i have to find another replacement, unless he reads THIS. ANyway, so if anyone has a 22,000uf 100v please email me!!!

As for the new channel, on the top of the channels pcb, there is a variable resistor, anyone no any info of this piece of equipment, theoritically this board doesnt need to be biased, so what does this do, is it adjustable GAIN? Any info would be hugely apreciated.
ALso if anyone has any output transistors for this board (San ken or the equivalent motorolla parts) please contact me.
Thankyou
Daniel
priscared@hotmail.com
there should be more threads on this somewhere, if anyone can be bothered searchin, maybe u have some transistors... 2sa909 umm cant remeber the otheres.

The pot will almost certainly be output stage bias adjust. Ideally you want to measure the current in the output stage (usually by measuring the voltage drop over one of the emitter resistors) and adjust this so both channels are equal. If in doubt, leave it alone - misadjusting it can burn out the output stage.

Guess what.. I've got a service & owners manual for the P2200 or maybe its the P2100.. I've never needed it and i've not seen my Yamaha Pro amp in awhile.. I know it still works, its running the sub in bridged mode, and it does wonders. The service manual is about 120 pages... The input is not a true balanced input, even though it uses XLR's, its configured as an unballanced input...

If i remember right it is the bias for the amp. Yamaha recommends not adjusting it.. LOL

new board

i got a brand new channel for it, it is slightly different from the old one, different caps on it. but its variable resistor is in a different position to the other two, should i adjust it the same or just leave it, also if i replace the outputs with motorolla parts, will i have to adjust it, if so how. Thankyou all,
Anyone got any 22000uf 100v caps?
Thanks
Daniel

Re: new board

priscared said:
i got a brand new channel for it, it is slightly different from the old one, different caps on it. but its variable resistor is in a different position to the other two, should i adjust it the same or just leave it, also if i replace the outputs with motorolla parts, will i have to adjust it, if so how. Thankyou all,
Anyone got any 22000uf 100v caps?
Thanks
Daniel

Ok, so what is this "new channel"? Is it the power amp PCB only? Is it complete with output transistors? Is it genuine Yamaha from same model amp?

If either the module does not have output transistors or you replace the outputs with a substitute, then the bias WILL have to be set up. To do this you need to know what bias current to set to, and a variable limited power supply to avoid blowing things up if you adjust the wrong way....

Are you really that much further ahead?

Cheers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Capacitors

Hi priscared,
A common problem with those caps in the Yamaha P2100 /2200's. You do need to change them. Even when those amps were current models, the capacitors were really expensive. I hope you find some, buy more than you need and look at the seals VERY carefully.
-Chris

the board/ caps

Ok.. I got a "new" channel off a guy from NSW. Still in the box, said genuine yamaha parts on the side, was very shiny never used(no solder). So i jammed it in and powered it up, it worked with no voltage on the speaker terminals, so i put the output transistors from the working side into the new side and powered it up, it worked. SO i thought yay, but i think it sounded quieter than the other side.. so would it have something to do with that variable resistor, as it was in a different position to the old board. (when i say board i mean literaly the whole channel minus the output trannies)
Now the new board is slightly different to the old, it uses mica caps(i think) well different caps on it to the old, ceramic instead of clear plastic **** which u cant buy anymore. So i thought the variable resistor might be deliberately in a different position so i havent moved it. Now if i were to use motorolla output replacements would i have to adjust it yet again, if so how?

With the capacitors, hybrid offered me some which he pulled out of his amp (p2200) about 8 years ago. His was from a church and it stopped workin after a power surge. Would u guys recommend me takin them, as i was going to unless someone had good reasons not too. From speedy spares the caps were $268, from yamaha $120, from RS $100, from JKL america about $40us each. THe caps from hybrid were gunna cost me about $100 australian. Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Im goin snowboarding for a week so i anticipate your responses. Thankyou
Daniel
jun-03@csc.vic.edu.au

or...

i could just buy some motorolla outputs and jam em in then ping it off to cash converters, waiting for it to blow up on some unsusspecting technician. but ya no... or stick it on ebay.. as working. which it would... for a while...
but that wouldnt be very nice...
Daniel

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
keep it

Hi priscared,
It's not a bad sounding amp. Good quality input level controls too. The toriod power transformer has thermall compund to the mounting plate for further cooling. Just don't drop it on it's face! You can always use it for a bass amp if you don't like it full range. They are generally very reliable.
-Chris

Big

Sorry if I have offended someone by reviving this old tread but I just picked up a Yamaha P2200 from a studio that still has all the original caps in it. I am planning to replace the caps on both power amp boards but I'm wondering how important it is to replace the two giant 22000/100V caps? I'm guessing that since it was in a studio, it was run on a pretty regular basis. I don't have a scope to check them but it could be toss up as to whether it's cheaper to purchase a scope or just going ahead and replacing the caps. The caps alone would end up costing about what I paid for the amp itself but purchasing a scope only to have to buy the caps anyhow would be quite a hit. Also, are there any recommended brands? I saw some on eBay for $300 and some for $65. I'm assuming that there is a quality difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.