Chassis constrution and tapping holes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently looking in to building an aluminium chassis for my project. For case I am thinking of using 4mm aluminium with 10mm bars holding everything in place.
I really want the case to have no bolts in the exterior (except for the base)
The question is, is it possible to tap 3-3.5mm holes in the aluminium and screw the bolts in from the interior? I have no experience tapping holes, so was just wondering if this is possible? and what problems this would cause?

Regards

Stephen

Nope, youll have too short thread if tapping in a 4mm sheet. Youll get an effective thread of 1.5 to 2mm wich isnt enough for keeping the whole thing together.

To use that approach youll need to make the chassis of min. 6mm sheet and preferably 8mm sheet. Then you can cut M4 which is much stronger than M3, and youll have a better chance not to break the tap as well.

Magura:)

To fasten from the inside requires what is called a "blind hole" (as opposed to the normal "through hole"). When tapping a blind hole in thin material, you will need a "bottoming tap". (Look at www.mscdirect.com for more taps than you will ever need.)

Magura is right, but even a bit conservative. In my experience, 8 mm is the *minimum* for tapping a blind hole with normal techniques. Of course with enough desire, time, and money you can do it in 6 mm, but this becomes *much* more difficult.

Charles Hansen said:

Magura is right, but even a bit conservative. In my experience, 8 mm is the *minimum* for tapping a blind hole with normal techniques. Of course with enough desire, time, and money you can do it in 6 mm, but this becomes *much* more difficult.

Thats right as well.....its good to be reminded from time to time that good advice is taking the abilities of the person to recieve the advice into account.

I guess the best advice in a case like this one would be to forget about tapping....and glue the whole thing with epoxy instead.

Magura:)

I agree with Charles, unless you're experienced, I wouldn't advice tapping "blind holes" in less than 8mm

My gainclone's chassis is made of 6mm aluminium, I made "blind holes" on the side pannels, to fix the ICs
The deepth was just enough, but it was for M3 screws

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.