Big Honkin' Amp Design - Help Me! (Nelson?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kilowatt,

If you account for power factor and amplifier efficiency, the total power draw could easily peak at between 15 and 20kW ...

Also 5 devices per channel in parallel even with water cooling is seriously pushing the limits if you will be operating near full power for more than the briefest of moments.

NU_NRG,

You will lose a reasonable amount of energy in heat but you should still get enough power to be useful for something.

Yeah, there's five devices in parallel, but that's not all. There are also 2 in series, and therefore 20 devices per channel when the opposite polarity ones are added. This is the same number and the same type of devices that Anthony Holton uses for his 1KW amp, rated 1050W, and I will only be pushing 900W, so they'll hold up fine.

AudioFreak,

thnx for the feedback, but is there any way of keeping the xformer from dissipating that much? soldering the 2 cores together?

Kilowatt,

what slew rate do you intend your amp to have?

Anyone,

what is the lowest slew rate should I consider for a sub amp? 3v/ms enuff?

Thnx for the feedback
-Simon

I'd like to have about 8V/ms, but it will be hard to ahieve. For an amp that must swing over 300W, I wouldn't recommend any less than that (based on Randy Slone's book). Now, for a sub amp, maybe you could get away with 3V/ms, but perhaps someone smarter than me could add more info.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
120->12->12->120

"hook them back to back" if this means 120V AC (prim) -> 12V AV (sec) -> 12V AC (prim) -> 120V AC (sec)

I've seen this done in tube circuits fairly often (using 12V filament transformers) but only for small amps and preamps that only need 120-150 V or with a doubler twice that.

In his case he has a 480 VA (less with the extra transformer losses) isolation transformer.

As to sucking the juice out of the wall, it was done all the time with 5-tube radios, and small console hifis. My 5-buck amp started just that way. I added a 120V isolation trafo from a ground fault isolator to make it safe when i rebuilt it -- sort of at the opposite end of the spectrum from the kilowatts beast at a healthy 1 and a bit watts.

I think it would be more fun to build an amp using the 40A 12+V Rails, than 4A 120V rails.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.