AC Power Regeneration anybody? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2002, 04:53 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I just bought yesterday computer backup power supply. Surplus price was CAD$80. It is 400VA unit, using 2 batteries. power amp and big transformer, basicalyy the stuff we were talking about at the beginning of the thread.
I connected all source components to it and I can say that there is improvement in the sound. The background is blacker (seems like less noise around instruments), better bass definition and rhytm, more detail meaning that bacground vocals are more articulate.
When I tried to run it from batteries only I didn't like the sound at all, there was no comparison.
Overall sounds like a good deal to me. Now I have to find a way to increase frequency from 60 to 100Hz.
Old 6th June 2002, 11:07 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

My following suggestion does not hit exactly the topic of this thread as You are talking about creating a totally "new" AC power line.
As this might be the ultimate approach to solve the power line noise problem completly, it seems to be (at least for me) the most complicated and costly solution. For some applications as very high power audio amplifiers this appears to be even almost impossible to do without huge efforts.
Though probably a less "perfect" solution but much easier and less expensive, why not just using high power line noise suppression isolating transformers (for example Ultra-Isolator from manufactorer Topaz)?
First they are much less liable to DC core saturation than torodial transformers and second due the incredible low primary to secondary winding feedthrough capacitance they are able to attenuate most of all that line noise garbage You are talking about.
Though this transformers are really expensive (up to 1k$) when new they can be bought as surplus or second hand at places like ebay for low money.
Besides this the part of folks among You having 230V AC power line can use the split secondary windings for implementing a "balanced" AC power line system and thereby improving line grounding.

Christoph
Old 7th June 2002, 02:35 AM   #43
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I remember the old tube AM marine radio on my fishing boat had a motor generator to jack up the battery power to higher volts. When you transmitted, the motor would whine up to speed -pretty cool. I have demonstrated my ignorance before so I am not hesitant to ask which kind of AC motors will function as alternators? It seems that there are various kinds. No need to mention 3 phase-it makes my head hurt.

Do motors with start-up caps work? Do oil filled caps sound better? hahaha. Actually, would it be a good idea to have a snubber on the driven motor to quell any noise caused by it?
They don't have brushes-right?

Pretty amusing, what WOULD the efficiency probably be?
This really might work on low power amps.

I have a 1000VA TOpaz and have asked about it in the past. Any more info?
Old 7th June 2002, 05:54 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

HPotter, the waveform from an UPS is generally considered woeful. When feeding a computerís switch-mode supply this doesnít really matter, but clearly defeats the purpose when feeding audio. When the mains AC is connected it also serves as a filter, probably leading to the improvements you mentioned.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 7th June 2002, 06:32 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

I also had my doubts when buying it. However it works and soon I'll get another one.
Old 7th June 2002, 06:36 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

You could probably just have a look at the one you have and build the filter part of it, as that's what's doing the work at the moment. However for that price it would probably cost you more to build your own v just going out and buying another.

Glad your happy with it.
Old 7th June 2002, 06:47 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

This is how it looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ups1.jpg (43.6 KB, 702 views)
Old 7th June 2002, 06:48 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

So, what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ups2.jpg (43.4 KB, 651 views)
Old 7th June 2002, 07:27 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Though probably a less "perfect" solution but much easier and less expensive, why not just using high power line noise suppression isolating transformers (for example Ultra-Isolator from manufactorer Topaz)?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have two Topazs which are really noisy and have to be sited outside.

They sound ok but not as good as ac regenerators.
Old 7th June 2002, 07:40 AM   #50
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Default FETHEAD

As Pete pointed out, what we need is DC. So why not have the AC motor drive a DC generator? Does that eliminate the need for a transformer if the Dc volts are right? - It IS isolated! Most DC motors will work like generators too, right?

The flywheel would be a good touch

How would I get a Plus and minus supply for my Son o Zen?
two generators?

Maybe better to make the Aleph finally.

Hide this!Advertise here!