Current feedback - Voltage feedback, how do I see the difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If the port Z is virtual or not, the port Z behaves as if it was zero. Only current flows. Thus the name.
Thx-RNMarsh

Yet, Richard, that's not what I see. The voltage at the inverting input (the low impedance node) swings just as wide as the voltage on the non-inverting input. And the current into the inverting (low impedance) node is much lower than you'd expect.
I checked with a G=10 amp with an AD844 and the inverting input current was just a few 100 nA.

I do agree with you that the term seems to be cast in concrete now and no amount of arguing is going to change that. Not even Mike will pull that off ;)

jan

What if --- a voltage is 'sampled' and applied to a low/zero Z Ohm port?
If the port Z is virtual or not, the port Z behaves as if it was zero. Only current flows. Thus the name.

The invering port is not zero impedance-not even close; not even with ideal transistors is this the case.

This is a horribly flawed model of so-called "CFAs".

The voltage at the inverting input (the low impedance node) swings just as wide as the voltage on the non-inverting input.

True. That is precisely how shunt (voltage) derived-series (voltage) negative feedback works. :nod:

The same questions are asked of app engineers such as Erik Barnes of Analog Devices in a column called Ask the Applications Engineer -#22.

I would refer interested parties to read his answere and comment to him.

www.analog.com/library/analogDialog/Anniversary/22.html

Thx-RNMarsh

Erik Barnes says the following:

"Traditional op amps use voltage feedback, that is, their inputs will respond to voltage changes and produce a corresponding output voltage. Current feedback refers to any closed-loop configuration in which the error signal used for feedback is in the form of a current."
This is incorrect: in both cases the error signal driving the amplifier is a voltage.

.......Notice that both open-loop architectures achieve the same closed-loop result: zero differential input voltage, and zero input current.
The ideal voltage feedback amplifier has high-impedance inputs, resulting in zero input current, and uses voltage feedback to maintain zero input voltage. Conversely, the current feedback op amp has a low impedance input, resulting in zero input voltage, and uses current feedback to maintain zero input current.
This is complete fiction, and merely demonstrates the author's lack of understanding of the most basic Control Theory: you can't have zero differential voltage in a feedback amplifier, even ideally, because a finite differential voltage is required to drive the amplifier's forward path.

Obviously the author is a product of a flawed analog electronics education that informs students that negative feedback "acts to 'drive' the error voltage to zero". This is completely untrue, and demonstrates that people really shouldn't believe everything they read on manufacture's websites and applications note. :smash:

Last edited:
Well worth to repeat it :

Rather, completely consistent with orthodox feedback control theory, the voltage divider that is the feedback network, connected in parallel with the output, drops a fraction of the output voltage across the inverting input. This is then subtracted from the input voltage to produce the error signal which drives the amplifier's forward path.

I can't see a way with a smaller number of words to rightly analysis how feedback really works.

In many cases, when the forward path gain is great and the error signal is so small that it can be ignored, a rough analysis of many circuits with feedback is even satisfied by just considering the voltage at the inverting input to be a replicate of the voltage at the other input.

In many cases, when the forward path gain is great and the error signal is so small that it can be ignored, a rough analysis of many circuits with feedback is even satisfied by just considering the voltage at the inverting input to be a replicate of the voltage at the other input.

For purposes of rough analysis in applying amplifiers, the error signal can be assumed to be much smaller than the input signal, but assuming it to be zero is the cause of much misunderstanding of how feedback really works.

Viz: you can never have feedback without a finite error signal; the amplifier simply wouldn't work.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For purposes of rough analysis in applying amplifiers, the error signal can be assumed to be much smaller than the input signal, but assuming it to be zero is the cause of much misunderstanding of how feedback really works.

Viz: you can never have feedback without a finite error signal; the amplifier simply wouldn't work.

Indeed. Take Vout and divide by the open loop gain - that's the voltage you need across the inputs to sustain that Vout.
What we need to stress is that the amp itself ALWAYS WORKS OPEN LOOP no matter what you bolt onto it on the outside.

jan

The impedance of a node to which the feedback is returned does not determine the type of feedback applied.

It's just extraordinary how difficult it is to make simple points of fact on this forum. :scratch:

Current feedback only occur with low impedance node of active component like a emmitter follower and in tube world a plate follower with a cathode resistor.

The resistor itselfs do not make it a current feedback, so if u use from output of amp a 2.2k to 22 ohm on the base of a differential amp it is still voltage feedback, when the 22 ohm is a emitter degeneration resistor the low impedance of the emittor is a current feedback, yes it is difficult to explane, I can,t do that because I have not that math impact.

Current feedback like in this amp, it was one of my best sounded amplifiers with ring emitters and a super emitterfollower driver for a high damping an low output impedance, amp has high slew rate because of current feedback..

Attachments

• Current feedback TOPAMP.pdf
    107.1 KB · Views: 63
Originally Posted by michaelkiwanuka

". . . It's just extraordinary how difficult it is to make simple points of fact on this forum. "

Indeed. Indeed.

I don,t get why we are so complicated here, just think in V or A it is just the impedance node of a active element
who decide current or voltage feedback..

It works, why wel I don,t mind, it sounds good amp is fast, low TIM (very important)..

And now I go further with the box build.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The semiconductor world and all of the academics and practitioners in and adjacent to that field decided decades ago to call one type of amplifier a VFA, and another type a CFA. Both terms adequately describe a fundamental aspect of the operation of these devices.

Further, many dozens, or perhaps even hundreds of scientific and engineering papers, reviewed in most cases by highly qualified peers, have been published on the subject, using this same VFA/CFA naming convention. There is also a multi- billion dollar opamp product segment, served by global semiconductor companies who are quite happy with the naming convention.

And then, some short time ago, a very small group of individuals decided everyone else got it wrong, and there was no such thing as a CFA, and if there was, it was just a badly designed VFA anyway.

My advice: just call one type a CFA, and the other type a VFA and be done with it. You will be in the same camp as 99% of the analog design fraternity.

And then, some short time ago, a very small group of individuals decided everyone else got it wrong, and there was no such thing as a CFA....
Short time ago? This nonsense has been going on for almost 9 years now. :dead:

My advice: just call one type a CFA, and the other type a VFA and be done with it. You will be in the same camp as 99% of the analog design fraternity.
+1 :up:

Cute kitty! A bit feisty though, in the wild.

There used to be a cheetah park / reserve near Oudtshoorn where the animals had lots of space to roam & run around. Not sure if it's still there though.

Attachments

• cheetah.JPG
    cheetah.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 95
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.