Current feedback - Voltage feedback, how do I see the difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I dunno,why? I don't built lots, because I design from the ground up - and I always try to use a topology I haven't seen before. Takes me a year to get a prototype running, what with all the other demands on my time, like the boss man.
Typically I throw away the first 2 prototypes before I get it right.
I've been doing pre- and power amps and speakers, but the last 10 years or so only power amps, I kind of like that type of equipment.

BTW, while I'm at it, we all mentioned feedback and feedforward, anybody who has experience with the famous 'feedbeside' amplifier topologies?

Jan Didden

janneman said:

The only ones missing are a few 100 from the last few decades and a couple of misguided diyAudio folk:D

Have a beer, lighten up!

Hmm….

Still some hairs left to split :D

You forget some: those chip designers from Comlinear, Elantec, BB, AD, NS and ... Stupid folks claiming they hear all sorts of sounds nobody else hears and writing silly app. notes ready for the bin?

Com on, it is about electronics not religion.

:rolleyes:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pjotr said:

Hmm….

Still some hairs left to split :D

You forget some: those chip designers from Comlinear, Elantec, BB, AD, NS and ... Stupid folks claiming they hear all sorts of sounds nobody else hears and writing silly app. notes ready for the bin?

Com on, it is about electronics not religion.

:rolleyes:

Funny you mention that. Last time I checked Comlinear, Elantec, BB had folded... So much for marketing savvy, even calling their opamps 'CFB' apparently didn't help.

And please, try not to put words in my mouth I didn't say. YOU call the folks stupid, not me pal. I just remarked about the myriad various 'sound' claims, and that can be quickly verified by roaming this forum.

Silly app notes? I can't quite follow you. You find them silly? I don't, they are mostly quite helpful. And I am not sure whether those app note writers are the same as those listeners you call stupid? I dunno, I think you are out on a limb there.

As I said, have a beer, lighten up!
(Tomorrow European Football final. Anybody care for bets? Portugal against Greece. The first match Greece won 2:1)

Jan Didden

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
janneman said:
Last time I checked Comlinear, Elantec, BB had folded...
Jan Didden

"folded"? define "folded" please.

if you were a shareholder of BB, you would have loved the way BB "folded", and wish your other investments "folded" in a way that even remotely resembles the way BB folded.

I guess sometimes companies "folded" quite differently, :)

janneman said:
Funny you mention that. Last time I checked Comlinear, Elantec, BB had folded... So much for marketing savvy, even calling their opamps 'CFB' apparently didn't help.

[/B]

Well, you are opposing the semantics those engineers use to handle their notion of CFB. If not, I really don’t understand what you want to tell us in this thread.

Silly app notes? I can't quite follow you.

Sorry Jan you did not said that, that was Mike who classified them ready for the bin. Forget to note that ;)

Oh eh, don’t worry about my beer. And no I feel no urge to lighten up, I actually designed in loads of those “CFB” op-amps and they performed pretty well and as intended.

Cheers ;)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pjotr said:
[snip]Oh eh, don’t worry about my beer. And no I feel no urge to lighten up, I actually designed in loads of those “CFB” op-amps and they performed pretty well and as intended.Cheers ;)

That's the spirit! We have this tongue-in-cheek fake Greek expression "Non illegitum carborundum". Do you know what it is supposed to mean?
(Answer tomorrow, I got to get my beauty sleep now).

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hey whats that? b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s scensored? That a bona fide word! My Webster's New World(!) dictonary says:

B-a-s-t-a-r-d: 1- Of uncertain origin; 2 - A person born of parents not married to each other; 3 - Something that is not truly the designated thing but closely resembles it; and a few others.

What's happening out there?? Next thing you know we start burning books again we don't like.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi guys,

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I'll do it anyway.
You know one of my pripes is that CFB is just a clever marketing phrase, not an engineering definition.

But it happens again, right in front of our noses!
Check out the new headphone amp from TI TPA6120. In the description it says, among other things:

"The second feature is current-on-demand at the output that enables the amplifier to respond quickly and linearly when necessary without risk of output distortion."

That's known for decades as Class B! See how they do it? They need a catchy phrase and just ****** us!

Jan Didden

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
for your terminology fighters, here is another schematic. can you tell if it is vfb or cfb or none of them?

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 190
The main problem still seems to be that some people refuse
to accept/understand/believe that a term can have several
meanings
. "Current feedback" is used for two different purposes.
It is unfortunate, but nothing we here at the forum can define
away. Nobody seems to have any problem with the definition
Jan posted of the word b-a-s-t-a-r-d which had three different
meanings, so why is it so difficult to accept that current feedback
has two different meanings? In fact, the word "current" itself
has several meanings. Judging just from the name itself the
term "current feedback" could just as well mean something like
instantaneous feedback or feedback without delay, but nobody
seems to have a problem with this.

I am not defending the use of the term as the op amp manufacturers
use it, but I have accepted it since it is most probably there to stay
and nobody has so far come up with any generally accepted
alternative (even mikeks finally seemed to accept that it is at
least "a special breed of VFB", so we need a term for it).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.