Need a little help... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2002, 07:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to SsZERO Send a message via AIM to SsZERO
Question Need a little help...

I am building some computer speakers, and I am trying to figure out what I need to do. There will be 2 speakers, and a sub in my system. I've decided to use two 3" Audax full-range drivers, and they are both rated at 20W RMS. The will be assembled into a bipolar-planar configuration, most likely up-firing unless anyone can tell me a better way.

I do not know which sub driver I'd like to use with them. I think I'm going to go with an 6 to 8" driver in a 8-10 liter ported enclosure...perhaps dual drivers.

To power these speakers and the sub, I want to have a separate amp unit. I want this amp unit to be able to deliver the full 20W RMS to the L and R speakers, and I want the sub to have around 160W RMS...for a total of 200W of power for the system.

Now how does this work? Can I get a 200W amp, and somehow divide the power into 3 separate channels? IS that what a preamp is for? I'd like this amp unit to be relatively small in size, as small as possible without compromising quality. I also want the unit to be able to control Volume, Bass, Treble, Balance and subwoofer level.

-= SsZERO =-
Old 22nd May 2002, 06:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
To power your speakers and sub you need 3 channel amp. Maybe Home Theatre amp?
Old 22nd May 2002, 07:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to SsZERO Send a message via AIM to SsZERO
Do home theater amps come in reasonably small sizes? Like maybe 6x7x1.5 inches? And what would I use to control volume, treble, bass and balance?

-= SsZERO =-

Hide this!Advertise here!