(+)(G)(-) rails from a floating (+)(-) PS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just acquired a Lambda regulated power supply (from a local flea market) that has 5 lablled wiring terminals:

(+s) - sensing
(+DCV) - positive floating
(Case) - case
(-VDC) - negative floating
(-s) - sensing.

Note that as is I could only see voltage between (+VDC) and (-VDC)
but not between (+VDC)(Case) or (-VDC)(Case) due to floating.

It is quite easy to wire it as a single (+VDC)(G) or (-VDC)(G) supply by grounding the (-V<->Case) or (+V<->Case) accordingly.

Is there a way to get both +ve and -ve rails simultaneously?
Plan to use it for an amp project.

TIA.

If you design the power amplifiers carefully and make sure that the DC-offset on the output is really low and that the driver bias currents or other biasing currents does not flow into ground you can build a capacitive voltage splitter with a push pull emitter follower to make sure that the midpoint stays within +/-0,7V. Quad uses such a solution in one of their early amps and I have used it with success. The problem is that you end up with half the voltage swing i.e. if the converter delivers 60V you can only achieve +/-30V output swing.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If not a large amount of current needs to run through the
ground (i.e. a balanced output) then two resistors and a
cap (to ground) are sufficient to establish a virtual ground
that the circuit can reference. If the load runs to ground
so that the current is high, I suggest fairly low value resistors
and a really big cap ;)

Well, after poking around a bit the PS appears to be a variant of the discontinued LK351
model (Linear PS). It is adjustable from 0-40V (splitting would
be 0-20V rail), regulated to ~mV, and can source 18Amp at 40 deg. C. Weighs 95lb.

I was interested in its current capability and wanted to
try out a multi-channel amp (~8 for home theater) or a two
channel Aleph-X for music, which all seems to default to a +/-
rail configuration.

Would anyone see show stoppers trying to use this PS for
the above purposes?

Thanks for the responses and suggestions thus far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.