MOX builder’s thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bricolo,
1 pole Butterworth use Q=0.7071
2 pole Butterworth use Q=0.7071
3 pole Butterworth use Q=1 & Q=0.7071
4 pole Butterworth use Q=1.3066 & Q=0.5412
L-R2 use cascade Q=0.7071 ( 2*B1 )
L-R4 use cascade Q=0.7071 ( 2*B2 )
L-R6 use cascade Q=1 & Q=0.7071 ( 2*B3 )
L-R8 use cascade Q=1.3066 & Q=0.5412 ( 2*B4 )
As you said, all these filters are set at the same Xover frequency.
Do you need the gain settings to achieve these Q values?

Have you read LeCleach on xover modification yet?http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/LeCleach2.zip Then you have to change frequencies.
Can this mod be modelled on Moxlite?
Has anyone listened to this mod yet?

Hi,

It's not very usefull to set up an audio filter, since everything is already pre-calculated and many tables are available.

But if you want to have a deeper look at the theory, and where those tables come from, you can read those pages:

Do you know what a s-plane is? Basicly, it's a map where your poles and zeros are placed, according to theyr Real and Imaginary part.
This chapter seems good
http://www.phys.ualberta.ca/~gingrich/phys395/notes/node38.html#SECTION00400000000000000000

And for Butterworth filters:
http://www.microindustrie.com/dsp/b-dis.htm

Tables are always normalized to a frequency, when using tables to design a filter, you also should look up frequency scaling as this is needed to calculate the parameters in the non normalized filter.

Frequency scaling "moves" the corner-freq from the normalized frequency to where you want your filter to have it's cornerfrequency.

I hope I make sence :xeye:

\Jens

Butterworth 4 pole

Hi all,
I have attached an excel spreadsheet to calculate the caps & resistors for a 4 pole low pass filter.
It uses 2 cascaded unity gain stages (moxlite) with staggered Qs of .54 & 1.3 to achieve a total q=0.7071 for Butterworth roll off.
Each stage could be used for odd values of Q if Mox shows the need to tailor the Xover to your speakers.

Attachments

• unitygain4polefilter.zip
    12.2 KB · Views: 71
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Was able to get two dual opamps made and working. Sounds nice. Its like taking a restrictor off.
The National Semi opamps were good, but this better.

I'm going to turn those web pages into a PDF and post a couple a pics. Someone will eventually need to reference the info. I think there are boards still floating around out there.

Thanks,

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
MOX II- Populated Boards

Here is some info on assembly of the MOX II discrete opamp.

Attachments

• MOXII Discrete Opamps_0.jpg
    MOXII Discrete Opamps_0.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 184
  • MOXII Discrete Opamps_1.jpg
    MOXII Discrete Opamps_1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 187
  • MOXII Discrete Opamps_2.jpg
    MOXII Discrete Opamps_2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 180
  • MOXII Discrete Opamps_3.jpg
    MOXII Discrete Opamps_3.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 184
  • MOX II Discrete Opamp Assemble Guide.pdf
    142.3 KB · Views: 104
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.