Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2002, 09:42 PM   #1
dorkus is offline dorkus  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dorkus
Default Son of Dork: Attenuator

The Son of Dork (SOD) project is the result of the diyAudio.com multi-channel preamp initiative (The diyAudio.com preamp project!). The project has been split into threads dedicated to discussion of the preamp's different functional units:

- General Discussion (project status, functional requirements)
- Active Circuitry
- Attenuator
- Power Supply
- Connections and Layout (including input switching)
- Chassis and Construction
- Hardware Logic, Controls, Display
- Microprocessor (programming, implementation)

I will be managing the project as a whole, as well as initially overseeing individual threads. For a background on the project, please see the original thread referenced above. A website dedicated to the project will be located at http://dorkus.org/diy/sod.

Let the fun begin!
Old 17th May 2002, 11:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default has anyone tried the Wolfson chip?

the WM8816... i know some don't like it because it requires an opamp, but was wondering how it sounds in combination with a "good" IC, e.g. AD825 or what not... if the chip is capable i may try it with a discrete opamp design.

thanks,
marc
Old 17th May 2002, 11:30 PM   #3
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I guess i have to etch some more boards next week!? Actually i have five pieces laying around. They are stereo devices so i could mail two of them too you!? Should be enough.

Sonny
Old 18th May 2002, 12:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

the WM8816... i know some don't like it because it requires an opamp, but was wondering how it sounds in combination with a "good" IC, e.g. AD825 or what not... if the chip is capable i may try it with a discrete opamp design.

Absoluted no need for an op amp whatsoever, discrete or otherwise. All that is needed is a inverting amp, you could do it with a plate output triode if you so desired, a single transistor...

Sonny,

Have you tried the ad8610 with the wolfson yet?
Old 21st May 2002, 10:02 AM   #5
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

No Paul ... i have not been able to find time for this right now... But in this summer i will have 4 weeks vacation so there should be plenty of time...

For the inverting and no feedback...

The performance of the WM8816 is based on a feedback design... But if the output of the WM8816 is held onto virtuel ground then this should be possible!?

Nice idear Paul ... Worth a try! ... With the right circuit the output will also be in phase with the input.

Drawback ... The resistor network inside the WM8816 will change a lot from unit to unit .. ~30% So you have to compensate for this gain variation

Sonny
Old 21st June 2002, 01:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default well...

i'm running out of attenuator ideas...

other than the wolfson, i have maybe one other scheme. we could use a dual-stage circuit, as i saw posted on some german website... there would be a 10-position attenuator at the input of the preamp (0dB to -9dB in 1dB), followed by the gain stage, then followed by a 8-position attenuator (0db to -70dB in 10dB steps), then followed by a buffer or another gain stage. this would effectively give us 0dB to -79dB attenuation in 1dB steps. suggested gain stages are Borbely balanced SE JFET, Borberly "super buffer", maybe even a simple single-ended FET buffer for the 2nd gain stage. the actual attenuators would be fixed-series, variable shunt using solid state switches to select the shunt resistor (e.g. AD SSM2404). since one end of the switch will be connected to ground, an FET switch should be fairly linear here, with low on-resistance.

thoughts?
Old 21st June 2002, 02:51 AM   #7
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

dorkus:

sounds good.
now get busy, I want to see some results!
mlloyd1
Old 21st June 2002, 09:01 AM   #8
AuroraB is online now AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Attenuator placement

Anyone got some real down to earth thoughts on the placement of a single attenuator...input or output..???
Seems like putting it in the output leg makes you more dependent on a higher load impedance..??
Any other pros and cons....??
Old 21st June 2002, 12:05 PM   #9
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: has anyone tried the Wolfson chip?

The Dallas/Maxim DS1808 attenuator is also an "op amp less" part. It might be worth investigating. I haven't been successful yet at getting any samples though. So, I wonder if it's a real part or vaporware.
mlloyd1

Quote:
Originally posted by dorkus
the WM8816... i know some don't like it because it requires an opamp, ....
Old 21st June 2002, 01:13 PM   #10
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

There are Japanese manufacturers of Volume Control ICs, alot include bass, treble and loudness functions, the following don't:
<a href="http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/eng/prd/mpsig/ft_mpsig.html">Tohiba Electronic Volume Control ICs</a>
<a href="http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/en/bucat_2/bucat_3/bucat_14/td_7/TD.pdf">TC4959</a> is 91 step 0 to -89dB
<a href="http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/en/bucat_2/bucat_3/bucat_14/td_8/TD.pdf">TC9482</a> is 97 Steps 0 to -95dB, 6 channels in one chip.

<a href="http://service.semic.sanyo.co.jp/semi/ds_pdf_e/LC7536M.pdf">Sanyo LC7536 </a></body> is 81 step 0 to -79dB

As to sound ????

James

Hide this!Advertise here!