Son of Dork: Active Circuitry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marc,

That is why I suggested hooking one end of the buffer to ground and letting one end of the coupling capacitor sit at about half the poistive rail. Most people miss the fact that coupling capacitors work best with some dc bias on them. Black Gates particularly, will compete with the best films.

Jam

jfet "op amps"

Another nice thing about the differential pair using same type of fets is that closely matched pairs such as the K389 and J109 are readily available. Also the K170 and J74 do not have the same transconductance. Gains never can be precisely matched for each half of the circuit. These is somewhat aleviated by source degeneration for the fets in the complementary diff pair. Adjustment of source resistors value with a pot for DC offset nulling can further complicate things. DC Offset trim can unbalance the gains for each half of the circuit. I also hate putting a pot in a location in the circuit where resistor quality is so important.

yeah, i'm not so sure about offset trimming either. pots kind of suck. i would only use them to find optimal values in a circuit, then replace it with proper fixed resistors.

i guess you're also pointing out a fundamental problem with all complementary circuits - lack of symmetry w/devices. i'm hoping with the K170/J74 pair they will be "close enough" but i can see why so many prefer the SE route.

anyway, i just ordered a bunch of JFETs from MCM... K170, J74, K246, J103, K389. the J103's are out of stock but hopefully they will be available soon. i got 100 K170's, gonna have to match them all probably, bleh... i will probably build the balanced SE line amp first, maybe the Forssell too if i have time. when the J103's arrive i'll try the complementary super-buffer. does anyone have any suggested modifications to the original borbely SE design?

i was going to ask another question but i can't remember what it was...

oh yeah i'm going to try to run the SE line amp off +/- 24V instead of 36V, so i don't have to adjust the supplies to try the other circuits. i'm assumming i just need to adjust the top resistors (R3/R6), the diff pair source resistors (R4/R5), and the current source resistor (R9)? not sure how much i'll need to adjust them, guess i'll have to play around... or i can go hit my old textbooks and do the math i suppose.

i can go hit my old textbooks

Voltage equals current times resistance. Go read Nelson Pass's web site and Erno Borbely's for any more detail than that. This stuff is not rocket science but is a little more difficult than balancing one's check book. An evaluation version of Spice of the web might help also. All the jfet models have been posted I think.

J103's? Don't you want J109s?

H.H.

Re: i can go hit my old textbooks

Voltage equals current times resistance

yes, thank you harry, i was an EE. :p
i was not sure off-hand how the current would change as i changed voltage/resistance. i'm assumming a linear approximation is not good enough because of the characteristics of the active devices. i may try to get PSPICE or something set up so i can do some simple DC modelling.

J103's? Don't you want J109s?

i dunno, but borbely shows J103 being the complement to K246... did i make a mistake?

dorkus:
Have you thought about experimenting with different cascoding devices:
1. JFETs as you are currently planning
2. MOSFETs as Borbely (and HH ?) advocates
3. Some high performance (e.g. low collector-base capacitance, high Ft, high beta, etc. like the Sanyo 2SA1210/2SC2912) bipolars

I think some listening tests of the same circuit while changing the cascoding device may be interesting.

Too bad nobody has an Audio Precision handy - it would be nice to see how the numbers correlate with listening observations and preferences.

Ooopps; I said the bad word, "numbers":) I'll go hide now..... heh, heh, heh

mlloyd1

mlloyd1,

nope, haven't thought about tweaking the cascoding yet, but i'm welcome to suggestions. i need to read up first on my cascodes (my analog teacher would start the lecture about how great they are but by the time he got to the details i was usually asleep :eek: ) , so i don't feel confident coming up with my own schemes yet but after i get the basic circuit up and running i'd definitely like to try modifications. i'll probably wait until i get a handle on the "sound" of the base circuit first though.

cheers,
marc

Re: shows J103 being the complement to K246

HarryHaller said:
I thought you might want complement for 2SK389. I personally would not waste time on K246 and J103 for cascodes. I guess even Erno is allowed to have a bad idea occasionally...

oh, damn. now you tell me. :D
so just use the same K170/J74 for the cascodes?
also, is there any matching requirement for the cascode device?

jfet cascodes

You could if you reference the gates for the cascode elements to allow at least 5 volts across the gain transistors drain to source. Connecting the gate of the K170 and K246 together only puts only a volt or so across the K170 which is not a good thing. A show of hands from anyone who knows why?

H.H.

Dorkus,
I noticed that you tend to favour Broberly complementary designs. I just came across that application which might be of some use to you. As you see the parts count doubles but no caps in the signal path.:)

Attachments

• image82.jpg
    image82.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,095
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.