Son of Dork: General

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Son of Dork (SOD) project is the result of the diyAudio.com multi-channel preamp initiative (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3517). The project has been split into threads dedicated to discussion of the preamp's different functional units:

- General Discussion (project status, functional requirements)
- Active Circuitry
- Attenuator
- Power Supply
- Connections and Layout (including input switching)
- Chassis and Construction
- Hardware Logic, Controls, Display
- Microprocessor (programming, implementation)

I will be managing the project as a whole, as well as initially overseeing individual threads. For a background on the project, please see the original thread referenced above. A website dedicated to the project will be located at http://dorkus.org/diy/sod.

Let the fun begin!

requirements

here are some basic requirements inherited from the original thread.

- solid state line stage, no phono
- traditional AC power supply
- DC or AC coupled
- optional balanced outputs/inputs (to be decided based on gain stage topology)
- minimum 10V RMS unbalanced output drive capability w/low distortion into 10k load; 4V RMS into 600 ohm load
- stability into capacitive loads
- HF response at least -3dB @100kHz
- possibly implemented with SMT devices
- each channel will be a separate module
- digitally-controlled attenuator with at least 1dB resolution over a 70dB range
- microprocessor-based controller in separate chassis, full remote control

there were many other peripheral requirements that came up but i can't recall them at the moment, the last thread got much too long. but this is a basic starting point.

please be sure to keep these requirements in mind before you post a thought. i've had to respond to way too many questions that could have been avoided if people had read the requirements more carefully.

cheers,
marc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.