question re speaker/amps connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I have a Cambridge Audio amp setup - A500 integrated and P500 power amp. Until recently I had bi-wirable speakers, so the speakers were connected to each amp (tweeters to one, woofer to the other, the two amps inter-connected via the pre-in/pre-out connections).

I have just bought a pair of non-bi-wirable speakers. I have the speakers connected to the integrated amp. My question: am I getting the combined power of the two amps, or just the one I have the speakers connected to? In other words, does "piggy-backing" a power amp via the pre-in/pre-out add the output of the power amp to that of the integrated amp?

Thanks, Paul

On top of perhaps damaging the amps, it won't really give you more power assuming the power supply was capable of delivering sufficient current in the first place. Even if there were no danger to the amps, the peak voltage would be the same. Peak voltage determines loudness. Power is determined roughy lby (RMS Volts x RMS Volts)/(Speaker Impedance). Since speaker impedance is more or less fixed and volts are not increased by this scheme, power in watts is not increased. Actually, there are a several complications with this explanation but resolving them still results in about the same answer.

May I suggest you go to this website: au.sound.com. Search for a couple of articles. One is on bi-amping and the other is on amplifier bridging. These may lead you in the direction(s) in which appear to want to go.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bridging

If you "bridge" the outputs of an amp, you will cut the damping factor in half. Also, some amps do funny things in bridged mode not related to simply damping factor. This also implies that you have two identical amplifiers for stereo.
-Chris

With no biwire terminals the biamp setup will no longer work. The easiest thing to do is just to use the A500 and sell the P500.

You can't really bridge one A500 with one P500 channel, they'd be poorly matched and you'd run the risk of causing damage. If you need more power, time to look at a better amp :)

Biamping is still possible if he's willing to open up the speakers and rewire them. However, as you say bidging non-identicle amps is a dubious undertaking. I think the articles by Rod Elliot will give him an idea of benefits vs. hassless/problems. Personally, though, I'm inclined to the idea that getting a bigger amp is preferable to bridging.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.