Destroyer X will show his amplifier in 24 hours - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2004, 06:37 AM   #11
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Just one pair of output devices for some 500W rms

You simply joking again, Carlos.
Old 15th June 2004, 06:54 AM   #12
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Default SOA

Quote:
Originally posted by PMA
Just one pair of output devices for some 500W rms

You simply joking again, Carlos.
Hi PMA , yeah that's for sure way out over the SOA limits!
Old 15th June 2004, 07:24 AM   #13
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

PMA, Elso, Carlos wrote:
Quote:
Input signal in 4 ohmw was 825 maximum to start clipping, current reach 4.3A each rail, continuos power consumption of 533 Watts, and i used in output 4 units 2SC2922 and 4 Units 2SA1216 from Sanken, each one unit around 85 gain, differences under 25 percent.
He used 4 Pairs.

Regards
Tino
Old 15th June 2004, 07:37 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I have not noticed, and sorry to Carlos.
Old 15th June 2004, 07:49 AM   #15
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Exclamation Not enough

Quote:
Originally posted by zinsula
PMA, Elso, Carlos wrote:

He used 4 Pairs.

Regards
Tino

Tino, Still not enough.
Carlos, is this a working circuit?
Old 15th June 2004, 08:05 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Just to clarify - I have only checked the schematics, where only one pair is shown.

I agree to Elso - even 4 is not enough.
Old 15th June 2004, 09:11 AM   #17
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Not enough

Quote:
Originally posted by destroyer X
Where hardly proven in our "out of time carnival parties", they work inside enormous Scania Vabis trucks, surrounded by many speakers... a mobile music festival, with dancers and all stuff, and year after year, you enter the truck, and theres the amplifier.

Its a free offer, tested, reliable, and strong amplifier.Carlos

Quote:
Originally posted by Elso Kwak
I'd say it is if you look at DX's post.

Good to see you stayed DX....... we need a colourful character with passion around here.
Old 15th June 2004, 09:40 AM   #18
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Carlos' amp will deliver these sorts of outrageous powers into low resistance (rather than impedance) loads, because there is no phase shift and stability is never really challenged.

However, into a reactive load like a loudspeaker, I certainly agree, you'd need strictly 6 output pairs for complete, cast iron protection against secondary breakdown, though some would argue credibly for five pairs.

Still, the Sankens Carlos is using are pretty tough devices.

I have done something very similar some years ago with Sanken LAPT transistors and have definitely seen these powers (>1000 watts) with four outputs per side, but specifically using a purely resistive load.

However, this amp is still impressive, and your comments take nothing away from Carlos' circuit. But I've heard no-one yet comment on the topology or fine detail of the stability regime, such as the 10pF across the collector/base of the predriver.

Imagine the difficulties of matching Vbe and beta on five output devices per side!! What is the sample size required to achieve this, even within the same batch? I have found matching is critical to good sound, and if you don't do it, forget about a tidy handover from one side to the other....... You can definitely hear the difference, and it ain't pretty.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 15th June 2004, 10:03 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Like hugh said, is not easy to match them

I gave me a good work to do it, have to find matched devices, take care of the resistor tolerances and adjust some resistors to balance all thing.

I do this all the time, this way i go on believing all friends also know that, same way they know to shave themselves.

This way, do not go further in this matter because i think no hard to forum people considered that, was explained by others deeply. Since this forum started, i read this subject many times.

Also is wrong the power in 4 ohms, the one showed is consumption, the output is no more than 322 Watts RMS in 4 ohms, if you have a very good supply. The one i am using have many transformers, if you read carefully you will see those informs that, and no passion in this text, oposite feelings, i am having troubles in life, the text are the most cold i can be.

You, probable not so young boys, are to clever and fast to do the things, and so many years you will have ahead from you to be a little bit slow to do things and have conclusions.

This amplifier is not qualified to be constructed fast... doing this way, it will explode as fast as you assemble it.

Need experience, must take care of assembly, because has enough gain to oscilate, have to put a cooper shild under the board and adjust distance if you perceive it will starting oscilate in hi frequencies...you get it when hearing the sound.

Also, must put some resistor and series capacitor from colector to colector, in the input up transistors and also in the other pair, have to change values of resistors, and some of them are variable.

I do not inform this in deep details because the one that will do it knows those things, and the one that do not knows may come to me and ask details.

If you asked me again, i will answer you gladly, if you conclude....go ahead!

Carlos
Old 15th June 2004, 10:04 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:

Still not enough.
From my trips to south amerika i learned: things that would for sure not work in europe, will work over there.

The reason may be the better Karma: less stress all around.

Or its because people tend to solve problems instead of creating them like here.

This counts for crossing a border without having the right documents, the way you transport big and heavy loads on trucks or on your car (they all look like breaking down next five minutes but it works), this counts if you do not know were to sleep next night ... someone will come and solve your prob.

It does not make me wonder also transistors tend not to burn that fast.

Maybe in europe the first test with the amp a new owner would do is: can i make it broken? In Brasil the test may be: does it play music?

Hide this!Advertise here!