help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm assuming you're mounting TO-3 devices

The collector is the casing of the transistor. Of course you must isolate the transistors from the heatsink, usually by using Mica washers and plastic bushings. The bolts that go through the transistors will therefore be connected to the collector, and where they pass through the heatsink they must be isolated from touching the metal. Similarly the nut used to fasten the bolt on the other side of the heatsink must also be isolated, and the bushings used are usually shaped to accomodate that.

Connection to the collector can be achieved either by soldering to the transistor case (not recommended), soldering to the bolt, or using a spade/eyelet terminal between the bolt head and the transistor case.

I tried to find a good illustration of the process but havent found one, and I'm a lousy artist :(

in some pictures i see that all the wires are at the bottom of the heatsink and on the top of the heatsink there are no wires(transistors only)

how can i connect the transistors from the bottom?

by the way, i have tryed soldering a wire to the transistor, it is impossible...

All they do when the wires are all underneath is they make sure the bolt is in contact with the transistor case but not with the heatsink in any way, and then they put the spade/eyelet under the nut beneath the heatsink, again making sure it doesn't come into contact.

With a powerful enough soldering iron (more than 30W) you can solder to the transistor case but it is not recommended since as you can overheat the transistor and destroy it. You can also solder to a nut in the same manner (depending on what the nut is made from) but it takes a lot of heat and it is easier just to use a spade or eyelet.

The sockets really don't make it any easier and provide the potential for the contact to become worn over time.

"The sockets really don't make it any easier and provide the potential for the contact to become worn over time."

You must have some very poor quality sockets.

I have several amplifiers over 30 years old and have no problems with them.

I have tube gear over 70 years old and have no problems with them.

Transistor Sockets - Keystone Keystone has been designing and manufacturing interconnect components and electronic hardware for over fifty years. Visit us on the Web and view our online catalog.
www.keyelco.com

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/618/831.pdf

Well I dont see how its much easier soldering wires to a socket then plugging the transistor in, versus just soldering wires to the transistor.. but...

I've never used sockets for this reason, plus it's extra unneccesary expense, IMO. I only use sockets for things like IC's which could be damaged by soldering or that I might swap out.

"Well I dont see how its much easier soldering wires to a socket then plugging the transistor in, versus just soldering wires to the transistor.. but..."

For those of use who are visually impaired, please notice that the page linked to also had mica insulators, shoulder washers, hardware and lug sets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.