AV800 rails

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lower rails should not be an issue as long as your set the bias current and DC offset correctly.

Also lower rails do not mean more current (unless you lower the load impedance as well, in both cases, it is a function of load not rail amplitude.)

On a personal note, I find lower rails have a softer sound with less glare. However if the motivation is to avoid blowing your speakers, then we get into the old "will clipping destroy speakers quicker than a high powered amplifier" argument.

Good luck! :)

Anvil said:
I mean more current from the transformer, because the VA:s stay the same and voltage is lowered.

Anvil

Anvil,

I am not an expert, heck I am not even an Engineer, but I believe lowering voltage will decrease VA rating because maximum current that can be delivered from a given gauge of secondary coil is fixed. Meaning you cannot extract more current from the coils than rated.

The second variable is the saturation of the core, maybe thats what you were referring to.

Lastly with increased flow of current, the Toroid begins to heat up because of several variables, usually this is the limiting factor in most commercial Toroids as far as VA rating goes, This might also be what you were referring to.

Any Tranny experts might shed better light on this,

regards,

K-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.