With one makes more sound! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2004, 10:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default With one makes more sound!

Left side, one 1000 watts RMS amplifier, heavy, and with high consumption of energy, this 1000 watts RMS amplifier do not distort (special unit) and is connected with no resistance cable to a 1000 Watt RMS Speaker, when full power goes to speaker, he move 1 inch maximum (this is special too).

Rigth side, one 100 watts RMS amplifier, not heavy, and with low consumption of energy, this 100 Watts RMS amplifier do not distort (also special), and is connected with no resistance cable to 10 speakers, a series parallell conection makes same impedance the bigger one (special too), and all the 8 inches speakers move 1 inch maximum (this is special also).

No tricks here, impedance the same, ressonance the same and the 10 speaker rigth side do not cancell sound one each other( those are really special!), all them, same distance from floor related the bigger one.

Wich one makes more sound, more air pression, more molecules working, going bigger distance, people feeling high volume?

If Left one, please, explain me why?

If rigth one, Please, explain me why?

Of course i have one idea and the last question will show what i think:

Why people is running to more and more power?

Can you all, friends, forum users, not so big friends, and whole audio maniacs, please vote on it!...not so stupid!, just because all people runs to power.... must have some reason?

Please, let me know, and change my mind ,and i will never forget you.... try to create some theory, or explain a real one. I like kidding too

Carlos
Old 6th June 2004, 10:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Some scratch...yes, i know!

I Know my scratches are awfull
Also i know i am not a detail man
Also have an idea how much idiot are my scratches
But will have some image.... whole people loves it!

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg with one.jpg (58.4 KB, 351 views)
Old 6th June 2004, 11:02 AM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well your ten 8" speakers are equivalent to 2.5 15" drivers.

All things being equal (highly unlikely) the ten 8" speakers will
be 4dB more efficient than the 15", so the 15" should manage
6dB more midrange level with 1kW versus 100W with 10 x 8".

But excursion limited output of the 10x8" is 8dB higher (again
assuming unlikely equivalence) which would need a lot more
than 100W to exploit.

sreten.
Old 6th June 2004, 11:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you Sreten.

But why people runs to powerfull amplifiers, real home power is 2 watts Rms each channel...maximum 10 watts when you try to disturb bad neighboors.

May have some technical reason, i can understand clearly the Psychological motivations....but cannot understand technical reasons...maybe cheaper?....no!

Carlos
Old 6th June 2004, 11:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Hy Rodd!, i will be glad to know what you think!

Please, put some here Rodd..... some idea (hahaha!)

Where's SY?

Hellô Yaniger!!!!

Carlos
Old 6th June 2004, 12:31 PM   #6
Banned

people run 1KW amps because the number is larger than 100 or 10. As the descision to buy an amp is not made on a scientific knowledge base but following stupid marketing ideas they tend to buy the larger number.

Manufacturers of spekaers also need to make speakers that do have large numbers written on the carton they are sold in. So they make speakers that yould need 1000W, but how would you manage to build a 1kw speaker with high effieciency, in addition it needs to be cheap because of this ****ing idiot kultureless capitalism. So the ineffiecent cheap hughe number speaker could need some of those 1kW to do any sound.

Else i do not think the multi speakers idea is a better solution than one speaker with higher efficiency for reasons you allready have in your posting. They are no point source.
Old 6th June 2004, 01:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Very happy too see you here till

I was waiting for you.

You are completely rigth, i agree entirely, stupid Marketing.... that's it...but, someone can think different and change a little our idea, or may change a lot too... do not know.

I will be happy to hear more people ideas, special if different from ours.

regards till, you are always wellcome

Carlos
Old 6th June 2004, 01:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JensRasmussen Send a message via MSN to JensRasmussen
Here is my take on why you would need 1000W amps in you home HIFI.

Imagine a not so ideal speaker. It’s a large driver (15” or 18” with large linear excursion capabilities) that sits a smaller box than you would normally place it in. Now you want this driver to play sub bass loud, so you need some sort of EQ in the sub frequency range.

Maybe you need 12 dB = 4 times, so your rail voltage needs to be 4 times higher comparing to the amplifier playing into an ideal box where no EQ is needed for sub bass performance.

If the Ideal box amplifier has 40V rails (about 100W RMS into 8 ohms) while your not so ideal system needs an amplifier with 4*40 = 160 V rails = 1.6 kW in 8 ohms not to clip……

Of cause there will be very few commercial amplifiers that big, but with a not so well regulated power supply, the amp may produce peaks very large. And it may even have enough power supply to deliver about 1000W RMS.

So I guess that there is a market for bigger amps, and not just because there are more zeroes in 1000 comparing to 100 and even 10

But I’m probably the wrong guy to ask, since I’m planning an active speaker with 800 – 1000 W for Sub bass and upper bass simply because I want a smaller box.

Actually I think this is all a matter of design criteria. A bigger box will not need such a large amplifier, but because of the higher WAF (Wife acceptance factor) I have been told that smaller EQed subwoofers are getting popular around the world .... at least they are more popular with my girlfriend than big boxes.

\Jens
Old 6th June 2004, 02:14 PM   #9
Banned

so the message is you need showoff amps for girlie-man boxes.

Sorry, i never experienced this WAF thing in real life. Noone ever told me something against using speakers as large as i want. In case the wife has no other problems she may need a psychater. Or she simply is the wrong one.

I prefer the sensitive speaker and to avoid suboptimal conditions. Isn´t high power and high damping factor nothing than a cure for a shelfmade disease called crap speaker?
Old 6th June 2004, 02:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JensRasmussen Send a message via MSN to JensRasmussen
Nope – the message is that the world is full of compromises and tradeoffs. In these modern times where a “good” watt cost less than 20 years ago, people are offered one more choice when designing amps and speakers - but at the same time there are more complex tradeoffs to consider.

IMO it’s not a question about “girlie-man boxes” needing “a real mans-amp” or ”girlie-man amps” needed to drive “real-man” boxes.

So make you choice, and think about what tradeoffs you have to deal with. I also have to think about the amount of space my subs will use, as I live in a small apartment.

On another note – who are you to be the judge over what’s good and bad, after all the fun of DIY is the fact that we have a chance to mess about with projects until we find the sound we like. I can always use my amps to drive a “man-box-speaker”, where as you are stuck with a “girly-amp” with not enough punch to drive anything than a similar speaker to what it does now.

I'm not a moderator, but “Crap” is a very harsh word, and even though I frequently speak it in Danish, I humbly suggest you keep it off the forum pages, as some of our native English speaking friends might be offended by it.

\Jens

Hide this!Advertise here!