Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2004, 09:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Capacitor across A/C inputs in power supply?

Hi,

Very dumb question, but I don't want to get burned...

I have been looking at a number of schematics of power supplies on the Internet (mainly pointed to by various threads from this site) and quite a number have a 'mains' capacitor across the positive/neutral A/C input or the switch. Are all these methods valid? Or should I just 'leave it out' as so many of the articles on power supplies suggest?

1) is from Anthony Eric Holton of http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/psu1.htm from the N-Channel Amplifier PSU page
2) is from Dejan V. Veselinovic of http://zero-distortion.com in his "Designing your own Power Supply" article
3) is from Nelson Pass of http://www.passdiy.com from the zenlite.pdf article

I tried having a search through this site but have found nothing what the various 'pre-transformer' circuits do (although I know they, generally, are for noise reduction or slow power up).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg all one.jpg (29.3 KB, 554 views)
Old 3rd June 2004, 09:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

These are special Class-Y or Class-X2 ac rated capacitors. They are there to act as a simple filter to stop high-frequency rubbish getting back onto the mains from the equipment. The only thing that will happen if you don't fit them is that you might generate a bit more RFI.
Old 3rd June 2004, 09:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ouroboros,

Should I be connecting them between the positive and neutral A/C, or bypassing the off/on switch? From your post, it sounds like the first option only.
Old 3rd June 2004, 10:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The cap across the on/off switch will be to stop switch arcing at the moment of opening the switch.

Also these days, most countries require double-pole on/off switches to meet safety requirements. (Or at least that's the case here in Europe). In that case both poles will need a cap across them.

To be honest, I doubt if you'll ever need a capacitor across the switch, as proper 230V ac rated switches shouldn't suffer too much from arcing.
Old 3rd June 2004, 01:53 PM   #5
jfd_212 is offline jfd_212  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jfd_212
Hi,

I don't normally use it in my design. I don't find that it effect the sound quality. If youre really serious about reducing line noise then I suggest that you build a proper line conditioner.

Normally, its for AC line noise and radiation countermeasure.

cheers.

JFD_212
Old 4th June 2004, 12:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanx for your responses, now I know what it's for. For $4, I think it's worth putting in even if I have a line conditioner.
Old 4th June 2004, 02:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Have a look at Jon Risch's AC line filter for some interesting thoughts.

Regards,
Dan
Old 4th June 2004, 04:08 AM   #8
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A good source for AC line conditioner parts is a PC power supply - nearly all of these have one X2 rated cap, two Y2 rated caps and some even have a line choke.

I have a dead PC PSU that has a 2 stage AC filter which I'm thinking of using in my integrated amp. I'm not sure if it'll handle the current though.
Old 4th June 2004, 01:36 PM   #9
LBHajdu is offline LBHajdu  United States
diyAudio Member

If putting a cap across the switch extends the life of the switch is seems like a good thing to do. However, putting a cap across the switch would mean that a little current, is always flowing through it when the switch is open. So the amp always consumes some power even then itís off. Does anyone know what this draw is, or how to calculate it?

Hide this!Advertise here!