SRPP (something like in the world of vacuum tubes) in solid state audio aplications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I could not advance too much, because all the time

My eyes returned to this picture....My God!

Do you have this quality people in your country?

Very pretty.

Carlos

Attachments

• my god!.jpg
    my god!.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 794
I have thought about mucking around with SRPP with solid state. I guess it's on my to do list. i also want to muck about with a white catholde follower in solid state as well. D. Self shows an example of this on his site, used for the outputstage of pre amps and the such. Figured it wouldn't take much to convert this to an output stage.

I've seen the Super triode connection, and i think there is a thread here about using it with solid state. I believe the inventor of it has the Evole Ampilifiers site (Japanese). Basicly the STC Amp uses the internal resistance of a valve for the feed back resistor.

There should be no reason why one couldn't use old Valve topologies with SS. Might work well, might be so, so. But, I think that there is a lot of potential in this as Valves are limited to N types so to speak and the designers came up with some very novel ways of dealing with issues because of this. Although I admit I'm no expert at any of this, just an adament hobbist.

-D.

In the last 3-4 months ELEKTOR have published a passive pre-amp built around two SRPP FET gain blocks(BF245/ etc.). It was a solid state version of a valve circuit they did in the mid 1980's. Looked good. No feedback. As you are in Europe you should be able to get a copy. I haven't got a scanner or I'd put more information up.

SRPP is...

Shunted Regulated Push Pull or Series Regulated Push Pull.
It's not Push Pull like we know this. In the case, it's A class design with one FET (or triode valve) in class A amplification stage and with another FET (or valve) in the function of adjustable anode (drain) resistor. It's one of electronic designs (circuits), something like by motor cars :xeye: with Diesel Ottos or Wankl motors,....:rolleyes:

This design is a par of the best triode constructions in High End audio an now (www.hiendfi.com) we can find something of this also in solid state world...

You have plenty of this on the internet (but only regards valves, trides,...)

On this page http://www.hiendfi.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=102 you can see something of this, no one newer published nowhere...., something unique..

SRPP effectively combines a high-impedance load for the first stage, together with a low-impedance drive (like a CF) to the next stage. It's one of those design techiques from decades ago that was suddenly 're-discovered' in the 1980s.

Not really applicable to solid state as it's better to use a current-source load followed by an emitter follower. (IMO of course!)

Now the White follower is something that works superbly with SS. It is especially good as the output driving stage on a pre-amp.

I only had a brief look on the schematic you posted here as a picture, and from what I saw, SRPP is an active device biased by a current source. The "special thing" is that the current source is setting the current according to the output voltage.

am I wrong?

This isn't so far away from Alephs or JLH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.