Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2004, 07:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question P3A Vs Leach

Hey guys,

Was there any thread in the past, which was comparing the performance of P3A to Leach amp?

I couldn't search, because when I tried to search for P3A VS LEACH, all sorts of results came up including either P3A or LEACH, but no Leach Vs P3A... I think the result came up around 25pages
Old 1st June 2004, 11:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Let i put the helmet and more protection!

And there cames the bombers!

No doubts!... i will keep P3A (My God!) ... uncle sam personal will be nervous now!

I will travell for some time.... gonne!

Carlos
Old 2nd June 2004, 07:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And there cames the bombers!

No doubts!... i will keep P3A (My God!) ... uncle sam personal will be nervous now!

I will travell for some time.... gonne!

Carlos
???
Old 2nd June 2004, 08:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default My God, how many corn flakes visited this place?

80 people visit till yesterday.

I was slepping under the bed to avoid bombers raid at nigth!

How many of them are those crunchy corn flakes eaters.... they do not like when someone tells something against Mr Leach.

I like Mr. Leach too, unfortunattelly, i am trying to find where the deep bass is.... could not find them under the bad. (kidding, life is too serious, work hard, payments to make, beauty spanish wife disturbing me a lot... this way i try to have fun)

Carlos
Old 2nd June 2004, 09:26 AM   #5
mandat is offline mandat  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was slepping under the bed to avoid bombers raid at nigth!
Are you live in Palestine? Are you Palestinian?
Quote:
I was slepping under the bed... ... beauty spanish wife disturbing me a lot...
Try to spend nights in your bed disturbing her.
Old 2nd June 2004, 09:57 AM   #6
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

The main problem is 90% of people can't hear a difference.

Of the 10% that can, 90% of those can't tell you which is more musical.

I'm talking about people that own $10,000 worth of stereo equipment, two channel, no video here.

In a controlled demonstration people pick the one that sounds the most like a boom-box or a factory car stereo (pair of 4 X 10 variety).

This is on modified gear that is so musical it makes you want to weep.

"Ohh, I picked the wrong one"

They may not be able to 'hear', and you didn't 'say' anything about their choice, but their ability to pick up small body language cues seems to be OK.

March them next door to the music store and play them a Yamaha studio model piano, a real one, no electrics here please.

Go back to the store and dig out a solo piano on DMP label.

No problems now.

The Leach has incredible bass, but no MUD.

If you like MUD, I can tell you how to get it from your Leach.

The Leach has incredible highs, but it is so clean it can sound SOFT.

If you like an etched, glassy sound to your highs, I can tell you how to get it from your Leach.

If you like musical, just follow the plans at the Leach site.

Nothing is perfect, the Leach is a work in progress for almost 30 years now.

Too compliciated?

Build a GAS Grandson, or an original Leach with an EF2 output stage instead of the current EF3 (tripple) outputs. The SAE XXXI is about the same with Darlington outputs (EF2 in one case).
Old 2nd June 2004, 10:14 AM   #7
DRC is offline DRC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Never built either but I bet the P3A is a lot easier to get working ...

dave
Old 2nd June 2004, 11:14 AM   #8
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"Never built either but I bet the P3A is a lot easier to get working ..."

Why would you think that?

As I described above, the original Leach, less the pre-drivers (not needed today because of higher gain parts), has only TWO $0.10 plastic transistors more than what are in the P3A. Same number of caps. Same number of resistors.

An EF output stage is usually easier to get working OK, a CFP can be tricky.

Ever try to find where that 2Mhz is coming from when you don't have a 'scope?

I find execution and attention to detail count as much as topology does.

If saving the time and money on those extra TWO transistors will allow you to do a better job on a P3A, then go for it.
Old 2nd June 2004, 11:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DRC
Never built either but I bet the P3A is a lot easier to get working ...

dave

FWIW, 4 channel Leach 4.2 (my first DIY amp) just fired right up, with only one glitch caused by my rushing to get it done. I reversed the power supply leads on the last channel, which was saved by using the 100R resisitors Dr. Leach recommends. I built it pretty much as described in hte article, kept the leads to the output transistors under 3" or so and no problems. I simply dialed in the bias (I used 125 mA) and plopped it in my system.

As for the sound - I am very happy with it. I use a pair of channels bridged to drive my subwoofer, a JBL 2245H in a cabinet tuned to 24 Hz. Plenty deep and powerful enough for music or movies. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but I used the single NP option for the feedback capacitor. Nothing fancy, a panasonic (I think) from Digikey.

The other pair of channels drives the tweeters on my first active crossover speaker. Still dialing in the crossover, but I am happy with the Leach in this application, too.

YMMV, and I have not built a P3A. On a passive XO speaker, I liked my A75 a little better than the Leach, but not enough to put up with the heat in the summer. The A75 seems a little smoother on top, but of course that may have been due to having gone to all the trouble to build it and get it running.
Old 2nd June 2004, 12:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default I am not Palestinian, but i look alike

And this can be dangerous those days.

I disturbed her other bed side too...but she is only beautifull, a little cold too.... once a week i can make her stop talk for some time. Damn Spanish beauty, really pretty that damn woman!

All you are completely rigth, specially the USA people (of course)

Related to future, we have pure water.... will be valuable as Oil in near future...My god!... uncle Sam will come here to protect Democracy!... this is awfull because we like them.... but, send cowboy back to farm, please!

Carlos

Hide this!Advertise here!