old amp inputs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sreten said:
the Xtal input will have the right voltage sensisitivity, ~ 1V,
but the high input impedance (1Mohm ?) will compromise
noise levels when used with CD.

:) sreten.

Although this will be true for the input if nothing is connected to it, the low output impedance of the CD player will swamp the high-Z input so it shouldn't affect the noise.

I have my doubts though whether an input designed to take an old crystal or ceramic pick-up cartridge will cope with perhaps 2V rms from a CD player.

Ouroboros said:

Although this will be true for the input if nothing is connected to it, the low output impedance of the CD player will swamp the high-Z input so it shouldn't affect the noise.

I have my doubts though whether an input designed to take an old crystal or ceramic pick-up cartridge will cope with perhaps 2V rms from a CD player.

Whilst true in terms of source resistance noise, the actual circuit
will not be optimised for low noise with this source resistance.

The xtal input is more likely to be able to cope
with 2Vrms than the tuner or tape inputs.

Ouroboros said:

Whilst true in terms of source resistance noise, the actual circiut
will not be optimsed for low noise with this source resistance.

The xtal input is more likely to be able to cope
with 2Vrms than the tuner or tape inputs.

This is where it gets a bit complicated. If the crystal/ceramic cartridge feeds a very high input impedance, then the output is essentially a function of stylus displacement as Sreten has said and has a self-correction for the RIAA pre-emphasis.
If you load it with a conventional 47K then the output will be velocity sensitive (roughly, but then these are only rough cartridges!). The output from the cartridge will then need RIAA equalisation.

So a rough rule of thumb is: Load greater than 1Meg, no eq needed; load less than 100k needs RIAA equalisation.

(I'm old enough to remember trying this on the old Decca Deram and Sonotone 9TAHC cartridges!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.