Have some parts .. need suggestions.. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2004, 11:23 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default ESP project 3a looks right up my ally

Thank you djk.

Any of you build this one?

Think my heatsinks are big enough?
Old 31st May 2004, 05:10 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

If you have many transformers you may put 2 in series (secondary) and get a voltage of 88 volts CT ( if properly phased ) and then you can build a 100 - 150 watts in 8 ohms. I am no shure but maybe a LEECH low tim could work if the voltage is no too high with 2 transformer in series.
Old 31st May 2004, 05:33 PM   #13
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

P3A is a great suggestion, this is a good amplifier that is fairly tolerant of parts. However I probably wouldn't bother with the 3055's unless you can get some 2955's to go with it. MJ15003/04 are easy and cheap enough to get and will work well for a P3A circuit.

Those heatsinks should be fine if one is used per channel. You could make a nice pair of monoblocks if you have two of those units available. The most expensive part of building an amplifier, I have found (especially if you get all the transistors as samples) is the heatsinks, transformer, PSU caps and chassis
Old 1st June 2004, 11:00 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Gathering parts for project 3a and could use some more help,can any one direct me as to what specs of MJL4281A (NPN) and MJL4302A (PNP) that i need to look for in replacement TO-3 case models? I would guess just E-C voltage rating, Dissipation , and current rating? Any reason 3055s and 2955s wouldn't drop right in?
Old 1st June 2004, 11:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Scratch that last post was answered already, I can compare the specs of the other suggestions.
Old 2nd June 2004, 12:56 AM   #16
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Using MJ15003/MJ15004 instead of MJL4281/4302 will work just fine in the P3A. The newer MJL transistors do have a better quality but the circuit works fine with the MJ15003/04's.

It may even be possible to use the heatsink you have with flatpack transistors as well. You could always get some kind of L bracket, bolt the flatpacks to it, and bolt the L bracket to the heatsink.

Hide this!Advertise here!