short circuit protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Spook,
I have also looked at a sensing resistor in the supply rails.
I built a triamp system which works great but I am now looking at short circuit protection.
With my current system I have a transformer/rectifier for the LF amp and a single transformer with rectifier followed by linear voltage regulators for each of the MF and HF amps. I am considering using two LM317 regulators in series, the first with current limiting sense resistor and the second as a voltage regulator.
This would be required for each of the + and - supply rails. For my case with three stereo amps this means four pairs of regulators per amp (total of 12 pairs for the triamp).
LM337 would be used for the - rails.
These regulators are cheap to use and would cope with the current loading as it is a triamp (LF amps are 60w per channel) and one pair of regulators only supplies either the + or - rail for one amp.
Any comments as I have not built it yet.

I am considering using two LM317 regulators in series, the first with current limiting sense resistor and the second as a voltage regulator.
This would be required for each of the + and - supply rails. For my case with three stereo amps this means four pairs of regulators per amp (total of 12 pairs for the triamp).
LM337 would be used for the - rails.
These regulators are cheap to use and would cope with the current loading as it is a triamp (LF amps are 60w per channel) and one pair of regulators only supplies either the + or - rail for one amp.
Any comments as I have not built it yet.

Have you built any of this yet?

How do you think those LM317/37 can handle power amps? Seems they're too weak for this.

But how about that rail current sensing scheme? How is that coming?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.