NAD 3020/7020 sound drop-out - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2004, 10:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default NAD 3020/7020 sound drop-out

I have recently moved on from my NAD3020 but my friend still has a 7020 with the same long-running fault as me - sound drop-out at low volumes. I used to think it was a speaker problem as fiddling with the speaker-wire grips often cured it temporarily, but both of us have found that also fiddling with the amp's phono output also does the same. It is a very annoying problem. Is this a known fault with this amp, as it seems more than coincidence that we both have had it?
Old 25th May 2004, 10:56 PM   #2
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

After all these years, general oxidation of the phono and speaker contacts may be giving poor contacts, they're very basic (cheap). I had to re-solder one phono where the joint had cracked, so that's something to check.

A good clean of the switches and pots may also help.
Old 26th May 2004, 12:23 AM   #3
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I have had 3 or 4 of these nad amp's there great little amp's.. i would get the speaker out puts connectors and the input connectors RCA's re soldered.. also maybe put some volume cleaner in the volume pot.. that might be the problem.. Also these pots that are used are pretty cheap you might have to replace it.. come to think about it.. try this also..

turn the amp off.. then take the volume control and turn it to the left full then to the right full do that about 20 times and then re try your audio see how that goes.. might just be a dirty contact on the control..

Let us know..

Jason.

Hide this!Advertise here!