Triode Emulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some reprints left from Berlin AES convention named "Triode Emulator," which I can send to interested persons by ordinary mail free of charge. The design for a low-noise amplifier is presented. The amplifier has a tube-like transfer characteristic and produces harmonic distortion components that are similar to triode preamplifier. You can find my e-mail on my home page. Please no request for preprint in electronic form, I don't have it.

Something wrong with your e-mail settings?

I only get the following error message when I try to contact you: "Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board. " Could you check your settings?

As you may have guessed, I am interested in your paper.

Regards,
Pekka U.

The idea is very simple :). FET common source stage without source resistor has quadratic transfer characteristic. FET common source stage with rather large source resistor has about linear transfer characteristic. For some intermediate value ;) of source resistor the transfer function becomes close to three halves power law, which is typical for vacuum triode.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dimitri said:
The idea is very simple :). FET common source stage without source resistor has quadratic transfer characteristic. FET common source stage with rather large source resistor has about linear transfer characteristic. For some intermediate value ;) of source resistor the transfer function becomes close to three halves power law, which is typical for vacuum triode.

In this case, you can play with the effect by varying the
bias current and quiescent voltage and output level to
approximate just about anything you want. :cool:

I wouldn't argue against this, yes, we can take essentially nonlinear BJT with exponent transfer function and approximate just about anything.
The question is what will be the input/output ranges for such approximation? Will they wide enough to have the practical application? Can we stabilize the operating point exactly within required range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.